Re: Error when SET HOST/TN3270

In article
<66ce4f8c-bfbc-406c-947b-d58755ac1b45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Volker Halle <volker_halle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The logical OPENVMS$TN3270 is being defined by TCPIP
$TELNET_STARTUP.COM (and deleted by TCPIP$TELNET_SHUTDOWN.COM) - at
least in TCPIP V5.5

Hi Volker

Trying it out:

$ set host/tn3270 XXX
A Phase 1 Integration compliant OpenVMS TCP/IP product has not
been
installed or properly configured on this system.
%SYSTEM-E-UNSUPPORTED, unsupported operation or function

TELNET Configuration

Service is defined in the SYSUAF.
Service is defined in the TCPIP$SERVICE database.
Service is not enabled.
Service is stopped.

TELNET configuration options:

1 - Enable service on this node

2 - Enable & Start service on this node

[E] - Exit TELNET configuration

Enter configuration option: 2
%TCPIP-I-INFO, image SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$TELNET.EXE installed
%TCPIP-I-INFO, logical names created
%TCPIP-I-INFO, service enabled
%TCPIP-S-STARTDONE, TCPIP$TELNET startup completed
Press <ENTER> key to continue ...

made it work:
$ set host/tn3270 XXX
%TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... XXX
Interrupt

Shutting down again:

$ set host/tn3270 XXX
A Phase 1 Integration compliant OpenVMS TCP/IP product has not
been
installed or properly configured on this system.
%SYSTEM-E-UNSUPPORTED, unsupported operation or function

I have:
TCPIP> SH SERVICE TELNET/FULL

Service: TELNET
State: Disabled
Port: 23 Protocol: TCP Address: 0.0.0.0
User_name: not defined Process: not
defined

as i ssh into all of my machines at home.

So AFAICS enabling TELNET would make SET HOST/TN3270 work as i had
expected :-)

Guess it's best to define it myself at startup so i don't have to rely
on a started TELNET server?

Thanks!
Sascha

  • Re: inetd to take telnet request
    ... flavours of TELNET here - so I read on. ... I know about INETD only from long ago with the RS/6000 UNIX, ... server applications" in the CS IP Configuration Guide: ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Batch Cisco Configuration Script
    ... configuration of many routers but now I cannot find it unfortunately. ... The way the script would work is as follows. ... open telnet session. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: SMTP server Issues (Inbound)
    ... I have tested the configuration form a seperate network, tried TELNET ... exchange.artisticcleaners.net 25 and the banner goes away.... ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: ftp problems
    ... Here is the basic problem with your posts. ... about the problem you are facing and the configuration of your system. ... $ telnet ... The first will attempt to connect to the host FTP port, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)