Re: OT: Cache memory

On 2011-09-23 04.21, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
Rich Alderson<news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
koehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bob Koehler) writes:

PDP-10 implementations varied. But according to the hardware
architecture manual (it's been about 28 years since I read it)
the "accumulators" (address 0 - 20 octal) are memory addresses,
but are referenced so often that they are almost always in cache.

Only in late-model PDP-10 models. The PDP-6, KA-10, KI-10,
and original KL-10 processors do not have cache.

Depending on your definition of cache.

Some are considering the registers (in computer architecture terms)
cache for the low memory addresses.

Does:

MOVEM 0,1

run faster than

MOVEM 0,1000

? Can that be called a cache?

I would not call that cache. The fact that processor registers overmap some memory addresses does not make it a cache. A cache should be available for all memory, or else it's not cache, but just some faster memory.
You might as well ask yourself if you have cache if you have two memory boxes on the CPU, and one of them have faster memory than the other otherwise.

Johnny

  • Re: Cached memory never gets released
    ... Stock linux 2.4.26 kernel. ... Due to flash bug 3M of memory gets lost due to font memory getting lost ... The output of "free" cache number steadily grows. ... longer to exhaust all of system memory with the cache. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Is Greenspun enough?
    ... Most OSes memory map executables directly from the file system so code doesn't pollute the file cache or swap space. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: UMA cache back pressure
    ... on a cache for another week or two. ... done in memory allocation last years improved situation. ... heavy and doesn't benefit much from bucket sizing. ... You're also biasing the first zones in the list. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: UMA cache back pressure
    ... on a cache for another week or two. ... done in memory allocation last years improved situation. ... heavy and doesn't benefit much from bucket sizing. ... You're also biasing the first zones in the list. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: UMA cache back pressure
    ... done in memory allocation last years improved situation. ... limits on cache sizes -- they are self-tuned, ... Even on my workload with ZFS creating strong memory pressure I still have mbuf* zones buckets almost maxed out. ...
    (freebsd-current)