Re: HP stopping VMS paper documentation ?

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:21:32 +0000, ChrisQ wrote:

On 12/05/11 19:10, JF Mezei wrote:

And by taxing at the source, it is a lot simpler than taxing everything
at retail.

(and yes, this also means taxing oil and coal imports).

Yes, it would be simpler and cost less to collect, but there would be
less tax revenue since the raw material often has a lot of added value
by the time it reaches the consumer.

I don't think the us has vat and everyone hates it where it's used, but
does have the advantage that the tax is directly related to the the
value of the goods at final sale...

Yes, the key to VAT is understanding the Value Added part of the acronym.

But just as with factory gate taxes, VAT encourages businesses to leave
goods at the supplier for as long as possible, hence the popularity of
Just In Time delivery systems.

--
Paul Sture

  • Re: HP stopping VMS paper documentation ?
    ... We have a 25% VAT on most goods and fosile fules has some ... > ...and everyone hates it where it's used ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: GE pays no income tax
    ... behavior if you've developed a preference for buying foreign goods. ... Look up the definition of a VAT ... It is a VALUE ADDED TAX and ... You seem to think that conservatives don't spend money. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: VAT vs. US Sales Taxes. Was: How to say it idiomatically?
    ... sorry...it has to do with how VAT is/isn't charged between EU ... They then charge VAT when they sell on the goods to the supply ... If the goods go round and round in an elaborate circle through ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: VAT Threshold & Help Required
    ... VAT registered and Company Registered. ... Which goods are eligible and ineligible for the scheme? ... Paragraph 25.1 reproduces the law on eligible goods. ...
    (uk.business.accountancy)
  • Re: Am I complaining uneccessarily?
    ... so I insisted in Airmail Parcel Post because I don't ... the letter option had insurance. ... import and/or VAT duty are our responsibility when inporting ... other countries deal with importing goods and how much the domestic ...
    (uk.people.consumers.ebay)