Re: Itanium - End of life (California court critical of Oracle &

Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

The main question is not a technical one.
Would the main users of VMS continue to use it if it was OSS ?

No. But portions of VMS would be ported to other operating systems and
survive there.

One possibility would be for an outfit such as OMX to take the open
source, port it to the 8086 and provide its enterprise grade stock
exchange solutions on industry standard business servers.

The other optio is that only NSK will be ported to 8086 and will inherit
all the markets that need reliable computing.

  • Re: Time for C.O.V.subgroups ?
    ... doesn't have nearly enough technical volume to keep large portions of its denizens interested. ... technical issues are leaving due to all the off topic bullshit. ... Non VMS stuff should go to another forum. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: need clarification
    ... If so I surmise you are dependent on ... some of these Beta "Kernel VMs" that run VM copies ... base OS and the VM code (not two OSs). ... What's with the strange spacing? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • need clarification
    ... VirtualPC 2007 (I understand it runs VMs with different OSs but requires ... If so I surmise you are dependent ... authors are not in the information stealing business? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Slow FTP transfer Linux -> VMS
    ... posted similar FTP problems recently. ... FTP to one VMS box was slow but to ... with other OSs - Windows, Linux, MacOS-X, Unix, etc. ... market themselves and their OSs we might all have a technically superior OS ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: need clarification
    ... VirtualPC 2007 (I understand it runs VMs with different OSs but requires ... wouldn't you still be dependent on your machines security software? ... VM code (not two OSs). ... ....hopefully these beta authors are not in the information stealing ...
    (microsoft.public.security)