Re: Did any one post this Oracle link already?
- From: Dirk Munk <munk@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 22:37:05 +0200
Michael Kraemer wrote:
The sensible thing would have been to keep Alpha development running in
parallel with Itanium until they were sure which one was the better, but
i've given up expecting common sense from hp.
HP killed their own chip (which was way more viable than Alpha)
in favour of the Itanic, why should they care about the one
inherited from (and killed by) Compaq?
In fact the Alpha's fate was sealed by DEC themselves,
since the 1997's deal with intel involved the obligation
to endorse the Itanic, once it would be available,
DEC just didn't live long enough, and so it was Compaq's
turn to finally axe the Alpha.
The article does not say that DEC would use the IA64 to replace Alpha. Remember the Itanium was designed to replace the x86!
Also remember there was an Alpha roadmap up to EV12, and Alpha engineers were touring universities etc. to explain how EV9 would be designed.
- Prev by Date: Re: Did any one post this Oracle link already?
- Next by Date: Re: Did any one post this Oracle link already?
- Previous by thread: Re: Did any one post this Oracle link already?
- Next by thread: Re: Did any one post this Oracle link already?