Re: Why does Data Protector take so long to import a tape?

Lousy program design.

"Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:87slb0v59m.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I was a bit to quick to export a tape media with Data Protector 6.0, so I
decided to import it again. However it seems to take at least as long as
reading the whole tape at least once, even though I had specified to import
none of the catalogs (I only need the Media properties for some reason)...

Can anybody explain why it takes that long? I would expect that DP just scans
a few directory parts to import a media. There are multiple sessions on the
tape (DLT8000).

Regards,
Ulrich

  • Re: Backup Error
    ... I recommend you to follow these steps to prepare the media that you ... This operation writes a "free media" label on each tape. ... Ntbackup can use only prepared tapes during a backup session. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Backup Runner Problems
    ... SBS ROCKS ... > Device Manager) was not being recognised by the backup application. ... > this time the error message was "The Media failed to mount". ... > File - it shows to me how little I know about tape backup! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [OT] Video Driver box
    ... At this point I have 4 computers - a linux file server, ... tape and dub the original. ... If you have no objection to refreshing your media every so often, ... Not cheap, but good. ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • Re: DV: digital vs. analog dubs
    ... audio/video media. ... That is because the ECC requirements for computer ... more space than the minimal ECC used in "Red Book" audio CDs. ... But when it is recorded on a tape, it is subject to the lesser standards ...
    (rec.video.production)
  • Re: Backup Error
    ... Thank you for the update and I'm glad that ntbackup works now. ... For the media library issue, I recommend you to contact the hardware ... Please also monitor the backup for a few more days. ... HP tape drive appears twice. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)