Re: Future of SGI?

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:54:25 GMT
Tristram Scott <tristram.scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler <nicoya@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <1138746987.077118.6470@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > mapesdhs@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> > : Meanwhile, Linux still doesn't feel particularly professional to me, and lacks the
> > : integrated, ease-of-use feel that I get in IRIX. Trying to set something up in Linux
> > : feels too much like I'm expected to get my hands dirty downloading all sorts of extra
> > : packages and dealing with dependencies; why should I have to do that?
> >
> > I've been fairly happy with Debian. They've got pretty much every linux app in
> > existence in their repository, with full automatic dependancy fetching etc. Just
> > one command to install it and everything it needs. Keeping things up to date
> > with the latest versions is just as easy and automatic.
> >
> > It's certainly not the same experience as IRIX, but it's certainly very workable.
> >

> Solaris 'x86 is pretty good these days.  Virtually identical to Solaris on
> Sparc.  Excellent price (free) with development software also available
> free (Sun's compilers).  I think it has a lot more of a robust and well
> planned feel to it than Linux.  I still prefer IRIX, where everything seems
> to just work the way it should, but given that migration is now inevitable,
> I think Solaris is worthy of consideration.
>
> --
> Dr Tristram J. Scott
> Energy Consultant

Meanwhile,

SGI has a New CEO Dennis McKenna,

  • Re: Future of SGI?
    ... Trying to set something up in Linux ... with full automatic dependancy fetching etc. ... > It's certainly not the same experience as IRIX, ... Solaris 'x86 is pretty good these days. ...
    (comp.sys.sgi.misc)
  • Re: TOP shows above 100% WCPU usage
    ... well-threaded programs using in excess of 2400% CPU. ... Some versions of top on Linux allow you to switch ... between IRIX and Solaris views. ... loading down a machine (the Solaris view is most useful). ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Is Oracle still supported on IRIX 6.5?
    ... I have Oracle running on Windows XP, Linux and Solaris, but I can't ... find the download page for the Irix version. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: I need pkginfo and pkgadd?
    ... RPM has been ported to IRIX, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX and Tru64. ... And even though it's fine on Linux, on Solaris and IRIX that makes it ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Oracle, Solaris, Sparc and Linux
    ... buyout of Sun, that Oracle would destroy Solaris and the hardware ... To which Linux are they migrating? ... that Oracle would destroy Solaris and the hardware aspects ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)