Re: share your opinion and experience with mid-tier SAN devices

From: David Wade (g8mqw_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/12/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:23:24 +0100

"Captain Avocado" <JV711@yahoo.comSPAM> wrote in message
news:qdbijv4tq1tj4hha78emn2oqsos34v4uiv@4ax.com...
> Dear Internet brothers and sisters -
>
> I have been tasked with researching and reviewing bids for our
> datacenter's SAN storage needs.
> We are moderately experienced with small SAN deployments, know all the
> software functions of volume managers, remote mirrors, remote
> replication, snapshots, rollbacks, etc.
>
> The first wave of vendor bids is in. I am looking for experiences,
> positive or negative with these products that you have used in your
> production unix environment. My interest is in the administration,
> operation, support/serviceability, performance, easy-of-use type
> things. I don't care about the ROI, software license costs, or $$$ per
> GB ratios. That's me bosses' job.
>

> * Network Appliance (NetApp) FAS960

This is a Network Appliance, not a SAN. Not sure why you would want to use
one. Mose times adding an extra server will do just as well.

> * StorageTEK/LSI D280
> * EMC CX600
> * HP/Compaq EVA5000

The HP is nice, but last time I played with one Solaris integration was not
its strong point.

> * IBM FASTt 700
> * Sun Storedge 6320
>

> Our current environment consists exclusively of Sun Solaris 8 servers
> (6500's) running Oracle 8i on Veritas Database Edition (Quick I/O
> [raw/block filesystem trick], Veritas Volume Manager, VXFS
> filesystems). Our big databases are 300GB and our small ones are 5 GB.
> Our workload is RANDOM READ with WRITE-INTENSIVE batchwork & OLTP.
>
> Total SAN deployment would be about 20 TB, which makes us a small fish
> as far as regional datacenters go. We have a lot of Oracle Financials,
> custom-spaghetti code for our manufacturing and finance environments,
> and we run one of the top ERP packages for our specific industry. 95%
> of users are on the same campus or over low-latency WAN links at
> fab/warehouse/research sites around the continental USA. We don't need
> cluster/concurrent access filesystems, just the ability to finely
> slice and dice the disk array to varied SAN Clients, mount snapshots
> as read-write then take it away 1-6 months later and throw it "back in
> the pool". Oh yeah, and serve out about 1 TB of Windows fileshare
> miscellany.
>
> Current Direct-Attached technology is Sun A5200 photons, T3s, A1000,
> and NetApp 840s. Equipment is showing it's age, GBICs and disks die
> weekly, if not daily, like fruit falling from a tree. Backups are
> segregated onto their own switched fabric network and not part of this
> STORAGE SAN deployment.
>
> I prefer the Sun or NetApp stuff, looking for reason to kill the HP,
> EMC, and IBM stuff in vitro. Our IT team skill set is strong in
> Veritas, Oracle, and Sun. Local Mgmt is unwilling to increase
> headcount and stingey on the training, so I need something EASY. IBM
> has approached us with the aplomb of Mafia-hitmen, threatening
> "corporate standards", and initimating phone calls to higher-ups and
> jobs astonishingly similar to ours might be posted on www.monster.com
> if we dare to buy someone else's product.
>
> So if your opinion be political, technical, or just years of
> battle-hardened wisdom from the operations trenches, why not drop a
> few lines to a fellow sysadmin with a few bucks to spend but not many
> friends in the Storage/SAN business who don't get a commission from
> the outcome of their advice.
>
> Sincerely,
> Solaris Dude
> please trim the SPAM off my email address to reply.

Relevant Pages

  • [HPADM] SUMMARY: SAN to SAN
    ... HP Storage Works SAN ... Also there are are Oracle products for remote ... where you can have both storage frames in the ... replication via the SAN. ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • SUMMARY: SAN Storage best practice
    ... fault tolerant SAN storage is overkill. ... other host side volume management requirements that might exceed what is ... If your storage array is setup to hand out fault tolerant LUN's then it ... --I've been in an organization where double mirroring was seriously ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: VMS SAN Primer
    ... (SAN - as in the interconnecting infrastructure). ... have different seperate nodes accesing drives in a SAN, ... you're confusing SANs with MSCP-served storage. ... The best way to think of a storage array is as if a tremendously ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: SAN/NAS Recommendation
    ... We are beginning our quest to upgrade our existing Dell PowerVault DAS ... measure up to FC SAN solutions when it comes to performance. ... NAS or SAN - between the two, is there a general rule as to the cost ... Has anyone implemented a hierarchical storage solution - what are ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: Solution: cant get pvid of storage drive
    ... I might have missed this but what type of SAN are you on? ... Did you shut down the switch and the SAN separately or did you shut them ... switch on & switch off the FAStT700 storage & the san switches. ... Subject: Solution: can't get pvid of storage dirve ...
    (AIX-L)