Re: What is the maximal length of usernames on Solaris?

From: Josh McKee (
Date: 11/23/03

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:29:34 GMT

In article <bpr7vd$8gu$>,
 Graham Lee <> wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:03:55 GMT, Rich Teer <>
> > wrote:

> >>I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
> >>I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
> >>(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
> >>chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
> >>not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
> >>all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.
> >
> > Why the focus on which interface is used? Wasn't it my oppositions
> > position that the average user valued stability over a nice GUI? To my
> > recollection UNIX is very stable when used with a CLI...perhaps more
> > so than with a GUI.
> UNIX's system model is such that any applications running atop it - such as
> a GUI - won't affect the stability. This is one of the many ways in which
> it is superior to systems such as Windows.

You don't need to explain this to me. I know UNIX quite well. But a CLI
is less complicated than a GUI. Increased complexity can lead to
instability. Therefore when I say "...perhaps more so than with a GUI" I
am referring to the less complex nature of the CLI.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Should the Command Line Be Deep-Sixed?
    ... CLI in particular, as about the usefulness of CLIs in general ... I find the GUI for GIMP (and back when I last saw Photoshop, ... a programmer for her familiarity with a particular language; ... to learning any of the shells installed on his Ubuntu netbook. ...
  • Re: GUI vs: CLI (was: Shell command in VB6)
    ... > this aspect of cli apps, but it does not apply to me" ?). ... between GUI and CLI is actually fairly slight. ... how many of us programmers would ...
  • Re: system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?
    ... I can do this in CLI in seconds. ... >> directory to another is a simple command in the CLI. ... In the GUI it ... > scanning the content with my eyes, and adjusting what I want where I ...
  • Re: CLI vs. GUI (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Mount windoze shares)
    ... The fact that one MUST use the CLI for some things on a modern OS ... Were I able to open a nice GUI and click a few options, ... To converse we use language which has grammar (syntax ... designs that confuse. ...
  • Re: RTFM
    ... In other words, you would use a program with a graphical interface, most ... > is missing on the minority of the computers, ... CLI, although I will assume that it's possible. ... But that really has little to do with CLI vs. GUI, ...