Re: What is the maximal length of usernames on Solaris?

From: Josh McKee (jtmckee_at_rm-bogus-ac.net)
Date: 11/23/03

Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:29:34 GMT

In article <bpr7vd$8gu$1@news.ox.ac.uk>,
 Graham Lee <graham.lee@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:03:55 GMT, Rich Teer <rich.teer@rite-group.com>
> > wrote:

> >>I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
> >>I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
> >>(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
> >>chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
> >>not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
> >>all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.
> >
> > Why the focus on which interface is used? Wasn't it my oppositions
> > position that the average user valued stability over a nice GUI? To my
> > recollection UNIX is very stable when used with a CLI...perhaps more
> > so than with a GUI.
>
> UNIX's system model is such that any applications running atop it - such as
> a GUI - won't affect the stability. This is one of the many ways in which
> it is superior to systems such as Windows.

You don't need to explain this to me. I know UNIX quite well. But a CLI
is less complicated than a GUI. Increased complexity can lead to
instability. Therefore when I say "...perhaps more so than with a GUI" I
am referring to the less complex nature of the CLI.

Josh

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Should the Command Line Be Deep-Sixed?
    ... CLI in particular, as about the usefulness of CLIs in general ... I find the GUI for GIMP (and back when I last saw Photoshop, ... a programmer for her familiarity with a particular language; ... to learning any of the shells installed on his Ubuntu netbook. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: GUI vs: CLI (was: Shell command in VB6)
    ... > this aspect of cli apps, but it does not apply to me" ?). ... between GUI and CLI is actually fairly slight. ... how many of us programmers would ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?
    ... I can do this in CLI in seconds. ... >> directory to another is a simple command in the CLI. ... In the GUI it ... > scanning the content with my eyes, and adjusting what I want where I ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: CLI vs. GUI (WAS: Re: [opensuse] Mount windoze shares)
    ... The fact that one MUST use the CLI for some things on a modern OS ... Were I able to open a nice GUI and click a few options, ... To converse we use language which has grammar (syntax ... designs that confuse. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: RTFM
    ... In other words, you would use a program with a graphical interface, most ... > is missing on the minority of the computers, ... CLI, although I will assume that it's possible. ... But that really has little to do with CLI vs. GUI, ...
    (alt.os.linux)