Re: Sol 9 ISOs

From: Evgeni Vachkov (evgeniREMOVE_at_genixit.co.uk)
Date: 12/27/03

    Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:26:51 -0000

    Ermm... I'll try to clarify this one.
    The laser on the CDR-Drive is either ON or OFF when burning. It also has
    some power rating. To "melt" a digit in the CDR coating it must be present
    in the particular ara for some time. The higher the speed, the less time the
    laser is melting the coating, the less readable the digit.
    By increasing the speed, you are decreasing the signal to noise ratio (SNR)
    of the CD.
    (Its like changing your printer's setting from "high quality" to "draft")

    Old CD drives are less sensitive or with other words require higher SNR.
    Therefore, if you want to read CDs with older drives, burn at lower speed.
    (same with printing: "dont give your grannie a "draft" printout. She cant
    read it coz its too faint.)

    Get some decent burning software from the shop or from kazaa or edonkey.
    I prefer Nero Burning Rom.

    Regards,
    Evgeni Vachkov

    "serg" <serg@the.plaza> wrote in message
    > In article <bscluv$uos$1@agate.berkeley.edu>, alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    > says...
    > > serg <serg@plus.two> writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
    > > |(I tried to use these on a Sun Blade 100, by the way. I hope it's not
    > > |something stupid, like Sol 9 12/03 is "too new" for that hardware.)
    > >
    > > Nope. S9 12/03 supports the SB100 and much much older machines, like
    > > the Sparc 10, first released in 1992.
    >
    > I was going to try to burn the CDs again with a much slower speed
    > setting, but I can't try any speed slower than 40X. I guess I don't
    > have a variable speed CD burner. Drat.
    >
    > But honestly, I don't see why the burn speed matters. A disk burned at
    > 1X should be exactly the same as a disk burned at 40X. It makes no
    > sense that there would be a different result.

    • Re: Error C00D117E
      ... That error means to burn at a lower speed. ... I'm wasting so many cds and I don't know what to do! ... I've never had a problem> with burning until yesterday. ... It copies only 2 songs and then the error> comes up "Could not copy all the selected items. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
    • Slow burning from playlist to cdr
      ... I was burning my playlist of cds to a cdr at a very fast speed before (3-5 ... minutes) now it takes 45 minutes to burn one cd. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
    • Re: new to wmp 10
      ... Open Windows Media Player, press F1, read the chapter entitled: Burning your own CDs. ... How do burn actual CD tracks onto my library instead of the unknown01, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
    • Re: Burning CDs and DVDs
      ... figured out how to burn either CDs or DVDs although I have iDVD, ... Finder will burn data CDs and DVDs. ... If you want an all-in-one solution for burning various kinds of media, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Laser
      ... It is the gasses emitted by hot wood that burn. ... laser does not heat up a sufficient area of the wood to cause the entire ...
      (sci.electronics.repair)