Re: Sun may have Solaris for Itanium already ready

ketil+news_at_ii.uib.no
Date: 11/06/03

Date: 06 Nov 2003 14:39:31 +0100

"Ken Hagan" <K.Hagan@thermoteknix.co.uk> writes:

> Rich Teer wrote:

>> It could be read that way. But it could also be read as a
>> statement of fact. For example, an M$ spokeman might say
>> something like "When you have an illegally gained monopoly
>> in a given market, you can charge what you like for the
>> goods in that market".

>> I don't think anyone would take that as a conditional
>> statement; do you?

> I confess I cannot parse it as anything *other* than conditional.

Why wouldn't it be conditional? If an MS spokesman said that, he
surely would go on to show that they didn't, in fact, charge what they
liked, and thus, didn't have the monopoly. OTOH, an anti-MS
fundamentalist would probably use it to explain exorbitant pricing.

Still conditional, but with different assumptions, leading to
different conclusions.

The alternative definition of "when"; meaning at the point in the
future some condition is met, clearly doesn't make much sense in
combination with the "you", unless the MS spokesman has reason to
believe the audience is going to some day achieve an illegally gained
monopoly.

-kzm