w2100z suppl-2.2 flash hung; system now totally dead

From: user (user_at_example.net)
Date: 10/30/05

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:54:50 -0400

Hi folks,

The sad story is... downloaded the new supplemental 2.2 for the w2100z
and burned to cd-rom. Booted CD and select option 2 to perform bios
upgrade. Wanted to resolve rear fan occasional pulsating issue.

During the upgrade the w2100z hangs while programming (or maybe
verifying) a flash block.

Not much choice at this point other than to power off and on. Now the
system won't boot. The fans spin up to full speed, along with disk drive
and cd-rom initialization, but the power switch and logo never lights,
no video, and no keyboard lights.

I did notice after the fact that the phlash16 utility for the new BIOS
r01b4s3 is version 1.3 build 41. Where as phlash16 for the earlier BIOS
was version 1.6.0.2. Can this be the culprit? There were no other known
prior hardware issue, other than the pulsating fan.

Any advise would be helpful at this point...Thanks..

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Virtual Memory Low/Overheating/BIOS Problems
    ... there may not be enough room for Windows to create a page file large enough ... is the CPU fan spinning fast and freely?.. ... Do NOT upgrade the BIOS unless there is a very definite need so to do.. ...
  • Re: HP Pavilion ze5155. Anyone own one? Fan question
    ... heatsink assembly and a separate "case" fan. ... I wrote HP, they suggested a BIOS ... upgrade from my current KD.M1.80 to KE.M1.45. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: MYSTERIOUS COMPUTER PROBLEMS!
    ... HOW STRANGE IS THAT TO CLEAR THE BIOS ... >> had total of 4 fans running including the CPU FAN, ... >> ALL THOSE COMPUTERS RANDOMELY SHUT OFF ITSELF IF VIRUSES CANNOT INFECT ... >> MAINBOARDS OR IF A VIRUS INFECTED A MAINBOARD, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Not sure I understand the semantics of BIOS settings.
    ... Therefore, I am in the process of writing down all of the settings in the BIOS, and I have an important question about the settings. ... Due to the odd semantics of the missing "D" I can't tell if I turned system fan control on OR off, but I can tell you that I turned an annoying sound into a load roar. ... First I must convince Gateway to take it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: PC hardware problems
    ... up all the BIOS settings. ... power down the PC and shuffle about the card in its AGP slot and this ... the chip, make sure the fan and heatsink fans are properly clean, ... ensure fan spins freely. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)