Re: Again about IPX: serial output

graham salkin wrote:
Ok, perhaps "Drill out the battery" is the wrong phrase.
What i mean is drill out the little plastic bit at the side where the wires end go from the plastic backpack down to the chip.

Heres some pictures of one of my earlier hacks.

http://www.salkin.co.uk/~wiki/admin.php?replacing%20the%20M48T02%20battery

Although it is possible to drill it out, its not nessesary. You would have to make sure you drill through the plastic backpack but not the chip covering itself. You only need to drill out the edges.

If you are feeling brave though, apparently the battery is in the right side of the backpack, and the crystal is in the left, so as long as you could drill it and not penetrate the chip carrier too much, its possible.

However the FAQ gives a better description than i could.

http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

sdsf wrote:

graham salkin skrev:

The lines:

WARNING: TOD Oscillator NOT Running, Kickstart in Progress ...
Incorrect configuration checksum;
Setting NVRAM parameters to default values.

suggest that the NV ram is dead or dying. (Which isnt too surprising on a machine that old)

A good indication that you have a marginal battery is the fact that the machine will seem to work for a bit. (The dont just fail, the NVram just becomes more unreliable until its unable to hold values during a powerdown at all)

The Non volitile ram and Time of day clock is held in an internally battery backed up 2k ram chip of type M48T02 on an IPX.

For more information see the excellent resource at :
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

You can either replace the chip or drill out the battery and solder a new one to it if you dont mind a bit of DIY.
Its looks a bit daunting, but its actually pretty easy. I have fixed the NVRAM in a number of sun4c machines with no issues so far.

Is there a guide to "drill out" the battery?

An X-ray of the M48T02 would be nice :-)

I just use a utility knife and carve into the plastic a bit on the end, it's pretty easy to expose the metal contacts and solder wires to them.

  • Re: Again about IPX: serial output
    ... What i mean is drill out the little plastic bit at the side where the wires end go from the plastic backpack down to the chip. ... If you are feeling brave though, apparently the battery is in the right side of the backpack, and the crystal is in the left, so as long as you could drill it and not penetrate the chip carrier too much, its possible. ... The Non volitile ram and Time of day clock is held in an internally battery backed up 2k ram chip of type M48T02 on an IPX. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: Again about IPX: serial output
    ... What i mean is drill out the little plastic bit at the side where the wires end go from the plastic backpack down to the chip. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Li tool warning - a really long rant Part 1
    ... OK - my favorite old drill cordless just died. ... screw holes immediately followed by driving the holes full of screws. ... I don't think I should have to replace the battery on a drill except ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: 12 drill conversion - Was: sci.electronics.misc , alt.electronics , sci.electronics.basics ,
    ... I have a 12 volt cordless drill that has no battery. ... Since a new battery sells for over $30, I had the idea of somehow hooking up a homemade 12 volt battery pack made from 10 rechargable NimH batteries. ... MAKE SURE the wire is properly secured at the drill end. ... At the other end fit a cigarette lighter plug fused at 10A and also make up a short lead with a couple of battery clips, a 10A inline fuse and a 'free' cigarette lighter socket. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Old power tools increase in value
    ... affordable decent power tools. ... Try to drill thru ... On the positive side, you can still buy keyed chuck drills, but be ... And these battery powered tools are even worse. ...
    (alt.home.repair)