Re: Disk Encryption for Solaris 9

Yes, you can have as many served OSs as you have disk space for.

I'm not aware of any whole-disk encryption products for Solaris though.
The Encryption 10 encryption kit doesn't do it as far as I can tell.

I'm surprised at that since theres a market for laptops with encrypted
disks...

There was talk of having encryption support for zfs file systems and
support through lofi, both in OpenSolaris rather than Solaris 10. I'm
not sure how far these initiatives have got, but I guess that the kind
of customers you have who are mandating Solaris 10 will not be happy
with something as uncommercial as OpenSolaris.

I guess you could have a Windows or Linux system with encrypted file
system such as pointsec, safeboot or dm-crypt and run your jumpstart
server as a host under VMware, but it's rather messy to say the least.

Although thinking about it - I dont suppose theres any reason why you
cant replace the disk in a laptop with a flagstone disk and install
Solaris on this?

From what I understand, a Flagstone disk is encrypted and asks the
user for a password before any OS gets involved at all....

  • Re: Does Solaris provide encrypted file system?
    ... >If Solaris doesn't, how to protect the files needing encryption type ... Matt Blaze wrote an add-on to NFS called Cryptographic File System ... (CFS) ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Disk Encryption for Solaris 9
    ... I suppose I could run Solaris 10, along with encryption pack, on the ... laptops but still build Solaris 9 using Jumpstart? ... I'm not aware of any whole-disk encryption products for Solaris though. ... both in OpenSolaris rather than Solaris 10. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: NT domain to Linux ??
    ... >> I don't even think there is any need for NIS anymore in an environment ... I can get the Solaris machines there upgraded to Solaris 9. ... that MD5 encryption ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Crypt Setting
    ... >types crypt() is used for encrypting user passwords; ... >unable to determine where in Solaris 8 I can do this. ... Three strong password encryption modules are now available in the ...
    (Focus-SUN)