Re: Proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if not super user?

rkiesling <ctalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Cydrome Leader <presence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Paul Gress <pgress@xxxxxx> wrote:
Barry OGrady wrote:
What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
on as an ordinary user?
I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
Could that work?
There must be a standard procedure though.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

This is what I do.

/opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5

Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.

Paul

setting a correct path would make this command far easier.

ln -s is your friend. Sudo as most admins know it is not
standard equipment after Solaris 9 or so. Some of the
aftermarket sudo's install in /usr/local/bin.

--
Ctalk Home Page: http://www.ctalklang.org

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (220)> which sudo
/usr/bin/sudo

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (221)> pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/sudo
Pathname: /usr/bin/sudo
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 4511
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 181792
Expected sum(1) of contents: 2495
Expected last modification: Jan 23 05:02:24 2009
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWsudou
Current status: installed

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (222)> uname -a
SunOS spiff 5.11 snv_107 i86pc i386 i86pc

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (223)> pkginfo -l SUNWsudou
PKGINST: SUNWsudou
NAME: sudo (usr)
CATEGORY: system
ARCH: i386
VERSION: 11.11.0,REV=2009.01.21.04.18
BASEDIR: /
VENDOR: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
DESC: sudo (usr)
PSTAMP: sfwnv-x20090121055858
INSTDATE: jan 30 2009 21:25
HOTLINE: Please contact your local service provider
STATUS: completely installed
FILES: 23 installed pathnames
11 shared pathnames
1 linked files
11 directories
4 executables
1 setuid/setgid executables
880 blocks used (approx)

  • Re: VirtualBox
    ... The VirtualBox installation nightmare continues. ... Tried to install; trying both Software Center and Package Manager; ... When all that did not help, I asked here for help and was advised to do an incredible amount of "sudo acrobatics". ... sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3 ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: sudo and UNIXes (was: audacity export wma format[1 more question])
    ... Sudo is considered third-party software ... in HP-UX (HP merely builds it and doesn't install by default), ... You left the large "unless local sysadmins care about security" escape ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)