Re: Proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if not super user?

rkiesling <ctalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Cydrome Leader <presence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Paul Gress <pgress@xxxxxx> wrote:
Barry OGrady wrote:
What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
on as an ordinary user?
I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
Could that work?
There must be a standard procedure though.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

This is what I do.

/opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5

Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.

Paul

setting a correct path would make this command far easier.

ln -s is your friend. Sudo as most admins know it is not
standard equipment after Solaris 9 or so. Some of the
aftermarket sudo's install in /usr/local/bin.

--
Ctalk Home Page: http://www.ctalklang.org

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (220)> which sudo
/usr/bin/sudo

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (221)> pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/sudo
Pathname: /usr/bin/sudo
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 4511
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 181792
Expected sum(1) of contents: 2495
Expected last modification: Jan 23 05:02:24 2009
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWsudou
Current status: installed

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (222)> uname -a
SunOS spiff 5.11 snv_107 i86pc i386 i86pc

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (223)> pkginfo -l SUNWsudou
PKGINST: SUNWsudou
NAME: sudo (usr)
CATEGORY: system
ARCH: i386
VERSION: 11.11.0,REV=2009.01.21.04.18
BASEDIR: /
VENDOR: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
DESC: sudo (usr)
PSTAMP: sfwnv-x20090121055858
INSTDATE: jan 30 2009 21:25
HOTLINE: Please contact your local service provider
STATUS: completely installed
FILES: 23 installed pathnames
11 shared pathnames
1 linked files
11 directories
4 executables
1 setuid/setgid executables
880 blocks used (approx)

  • Re: sudo and UNIXes (was: audacity export wma format[1 more question])
    ... Sudo is considered third-party software ... in HP-UX (HP merely builds it and doesn't install by default), ... You left the large "unless local sysadmins care about security" escape ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: tinybsd qemu small howto
    ... install FreeBSD 7.0 ISO ... sudo cp GENERIC MY_KERNEL ... I use qemu to test my images. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Problem of install tarball packages
    ... How to config the sudo, then allow user A to install tarball packages with FC8 System? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Using Perl to connect a Linux box to Linux/Windows boxes
    ... If you are to write something to copy files to remote machines and install software, and the installation of said software requires root access, yet you are not allowed to become root then you cannot complete the task. ... if you are to use sudo to do the root install command then often the network admin will set up sudo such that you need to enter a password. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)