Re: Hard drives for Sun Blade 2500

shmerl wrote:
I've got a used Sun Blade 2500. What HDs are compatible with it? Dos it
support only SUN specific hard drives ('Sun's page'
(http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/sunblade2500/) says: up to two
146-GB, 10,000 RPM, Ultra 320 SCSI drives), or some other SCSI HDs
should work there too? If yes, which ones?

(I plan to install OpenSolaris there).

Thanks.

You can use virtually any non-Sun drives on Sun SCSI-based machines without any problems, as long as you get them with the right connector. There are 3 types of connectors used on SCSI drives

* SCA - most common for enterprise type disks
* F-CAL fibre channel, used in Some Suns like the Blade 2000
* 68-pin - not used in any Sun hardware.

I don't know if the Blade 2500, like the Blade 2000 uses fibre channel (FCAL) SCSI disks. In which case, they are somewhat rarer to find than the much more common 80-pin SCA connector used on most SCSI drives.

Very old drives of 1.6" in height may or may not fit. I've no idea. I've used them in some Suns. bit they are too big to fit in others.

As for capacity or speed, I would not be concerned at all. Larger, faster disks will work, but would not be supported by Sun.

If you read around, you will find people using many non-Sun drives in Suns without any problems.

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,