Re: Creating a CD on Unix

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com)
Date: 09/10/03

    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:15:14 -0400

    On 9 Sep 2003 13:56:06 -0700, Trina
      <krini_pop@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to create a CD on a Solaris environment. I created a CD,
    > but it makes all of the directory names and file names lowercase. I
    > need mixed case.
    > Also, some of the files have 2 periods in the name, e.g. X.Y.bin, and
    > it only picks up X.Y as the file name. Is there a way to have mixed
    > case and to keep Unix from chopping off the extension?

    RTFM for your CD software. You need to enable "Rock Ridge" or "Joliet"
    extensions, depending on whether the CD is to be read by Unix or
    Windows. Or you could write a tar file to the CD, which would preserve
    file names, owners and permissions.

    --
    Commander Spiral Pyjama Pseudo-Rhinocerous Feline Thingamajig Bill Marcum
    (the First)

    • Re: Windows Media Player executes WMF content in .MP3 files.
      ... >In the UNIX world, how a file is executed always depends on any magic ... and never on the filename. ... In the Microsoft world, the file extension counts to decide what operations ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Windows Explorer exits unexpectedly Windows XP Pro
      ... another FYI - I did the same thing on our windows 2000 and 2003 ... This gz extensiion is a unix extension from the ... for this on XP Pro. ...
    • Re: Windows Explorer exits unexpectedly Windows XP Pro
      ... This gz extensiion is a unix ... extension from the gzip command. ... Computer: JAXSCLIFTONADM ... Plus mine is an archive type file. ...
    • Re: Ada.Directories.Base_Name and dot files
      ... (AARM A.16(1.a)) ... The null string design baffles me. ... "extension" name, Unix is a lot ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: DCL versus Unix CLIs, was: Re: File output like Unix
      ... Why include Unix? ... And this from the file system limitations of Linux and Unix, of OpenVMS or of Windows. ... As with your example from Linux and Unix, OpenVMS also doesn't have a particular hard-coded meaning of a file extension, either. ... I am not sure how it has evolved in OS X, but traditionally a Mac user sees a single file, but the file system actually has two parts - a "data fork" and a "resource fork". ...
      (comp.os.vms)