Unix Password Encryption Procedures

From: Kushal Agarwal (kushal.agarwal_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: 27 Sep 2004 13:39:48 -0700

Hello,

I know that most Unix machines either use the DES encryption algorithm
or the MD5 encryption algorithm, I am wondering if there is any
flavour of unix which uses the kerberos (or anyother) methodology?

Additonally, I know that the function crypt() is able to encrypt using
either the DES or the MD5 algorithm, depending on the salt supplied
with the function. I am curious as to given an encrypted string, is
there any "clean" (via a function(s)) way to determine what method was
used to encrypt the original string. I need to know how the original
string was encrypted so that I can use the same procedure to encrypt
the entered string (so that I may compare the stored and entered
strings).

Thanks,

Kushal

Relevant Pages

  • RE: 2007 User Level Security
    ... encrypted string. ... the way I use it is to encrypt user names and passwords and store the ... Dim prp As Property ... Dim dbs As Object, prp As Variant ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Unix Password Encryption Procedures
    ... > I know that most Unix machines either use the DES encryption algorithm ... > or the MD5 encryption algorithm, I am wondering if there is any ... I am curious as to given an encrypted string, ... > used to encrypt the original string. ...
    (comp.unix.misc)
  • Re: Workable encryption in Tcl??
    ... The longest string would be about the length ... How to encrypt a string ... nothing about binary formats. ... ># Perform ECB mode encryption on a plaintext block of BINARY data. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • RE: Using Win32 CryptDecrypt to Decrypt RijndaelManaged
    ... I figured out how to use RijndaelManaged with AES in the C++ app. ... C++ crypto WILL successfully decrypt the .NET generated ... I am trying to write a Win32 app that can decrypt that string using the ... I can get both to encrypt and decrypt successfully in their own projects, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Decryptionfailed to bring original text back....
    ... cryptography, but now using them on web.config, any idea, I like to ... There isn't really much reason to encrypt a .NET string with ... what happen when you decrypt the encrypted ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)