Unix Password Encryption Procedures

From: Kushal Agarwal (kushal.agarwal_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: 27 Sep 2004 13:39:48 -0700

Hello,

I know that most Unix machines either use the DES encryption algorithm
or the MD5 encryption algorithm, I am wondering if there is any
flavour of unix which uses the kerberos (or anyother) methodology?

Additonally, I know that the function crypt() is able to encrypt using
either the DES or the MD5 algorithm, depending on the salt supplied
with the function. I am curious as to given an encrypted string, is
there any "clean" (via a function(s)) way to determine what method was
used to encrypt the original string. I need to know how the original
string was encrypted so that I can use the same procedure to encrypt
the entered string (so that I may compare the stored and entered
strings).

Thanks,

Kushal