Re: Every thing is a file

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:57:22 +0000 (UTC) bbense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Booker Bense) wrote:
In article <1188585575.647658.231760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The only software that I personally know uses doors is syslog on
solaris ( this is most annoying if you want to syslog from other
than C. ).

You could use the 'logger' program for most interpreted languages
without a syslog() interface. What wouldn't be covered by that?

There are probably others, but I think this one of
those solutions looking for a problem that pop up from time to
time.

Disagree (humbly). Faster IPC is definitely highly desirable. Also,
the ability to pass file descriptors sounds fantastic.

I think nscd also uses doors.

-frank

  • Re: Every thing is a file
    ... existance of a special file type in Unix called a "door". ... third party software unless they REALLY need the extra ... The only software that I personally know uses doors is syslog on ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: Every thing is a file
    ... Doug Freyburger wrote: ... The only software that I personally know uses doors is syslog on ... solaris (this is most annoying if you want to syslog from other ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: syslogd quesstion
    ... Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd? ... syslog differently? ... I'm an AIX admin by trade, and a Linux admin by hobby. ... >> I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: syslogd quesstion
    ... Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd? ... syslog differently? ... Fedora Core. ... >> I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Simple question on sendmail log files for Solaris 10
    ... > and warning files get stored? ... Sendmail logs to syslog, so the location of your log files is determined ... I haven't worked with Solaris 10, ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)