Re: AIX on intell machine

From: Ian Northeast (ian_at_house-from-hell.demon.co.uk)
Date: 05/21/03

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:43:57 +0100

Mark Taylor wrote:

> there was a 5L kernel for the ia64 Itanium chip, but i think that
> got canned, or put back. have not heard anything for a long time
> on that one.
>
> aix 1.3 will run on a 386/483, its very old and you need to find a copy
> 1st... its not much like the current AIX either...
>
> your best bet is linux or one of the other open source Unix's like
> openbsd or freebsd

Or if the OP particularly wants a commercial UNIX there's Solaris.

Regards, Ian

Relevant Pages

  • FW: IBM ThinkPad HD APS Linux Driver
    ... Your inquiry regarding the Active Protection System and the Fingerprint ... With regards to the Active Protection System, Lenovo has ... (They are obviously not thinking in Linux.) ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Flash 9
    ... >>> I see it in linux compat layer ... > I have the same situation, no sound! ... > Best regards, ... There would not be any sound, because linux flash 9 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [SLE] K3b stops writing with "Unkown Error 254"
    ... >> Linux Only Shop. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: why some people call emacs operating system?
    ... We have also thrown many things into the Linux system. ... Ian> and doing it well. ... Emacs has lots of packages, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: I agree linux is not for avg. homeuser
    ... >> Firstly, it's what the users don't gain, i.e. Viruses, Trojans, Worms, ... > Ian is right. ... > as Linux users when you can write one for the most used, most dissected, ... Windows is so easy to crack that little ...
    (linux.redhat)