Re: Windows 2000 to Unix data conversion utility

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc_at_sesame.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: 08/19/03

    Date: 19 Aug 2003 16:46:18 -0400

    In article <pan.2003.08.19.09.20.45.551654@renodemedici.it>,
    Massimiliano Adamo <massimiliano.adamoNOSPAM@renodemedici.it> wrote:
    : On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:42:40 -0700, Robert S. wrote:
    :
    : > I am planning a major migration from Windows 2000 to Unix (AIX). Does
    : > anyone know of a data conversion utility for tranferring Windows files to
    : > Unix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : you have to convert exactly NOTHING.
    : unix file format vs. windows file format i think is not your problem in
    : this case.
    :
    Well, text files in Unix have records ("lines") that end with linefeed,
    whereas in Windows they end with carriage return and linefeed. This would
    seem to be inconsequential until you find out that a lot of Unix software
    chokes on the carriage returns.

    Furthermore Windows text files might use a different character set than
    AIX; for example Windows Code Page 1251 for Russian rather than (say)
    ISO 8859-5.

    Software exists that can transfer files -- and entire directory trees
    recursively -- automatically switching between text and binary mode for
    each file and converting text character sets as you request:

      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

    - Frank

    • Re: Curious Sunday Morning Linux File System Question ??
      ... Now why is this not just a attribute (like the evil OS Windows does) ... Originally Unix used teletypes for interface and paper tape for program ... Thus the ascii character set without lower case. ... moved copied and controlled by system administrators. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: What is the more popular UNIX flavor?
      ... about my experience with Solaris and Cygwin. ... installing packages. ... needing eg tftp you only need to activate on a Unix system. ... probably need installing first on the equivalent Windows system. ...
      (comp.unix.questions)
    • Re: Five Architectural Flaws in Windows Solved In Mac OS X
      ... But it is still an improvement over Unix, wherein *any executable* can be highly privileged and interact with the user. ... The usual security precautions prevent unauthorized people from doing this, but that's true on Windows also. ... I just got thru upgrading the wifes Mac to Tiger and hpfs is the default. ... This is a more advanced design that Unixes have been trying to duplicate by adding thread support. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: Linux no threat to Microsoft
      ... originally developed for Unix. ... Windows has't come on any of the machines I've ever purchased. ... Yet over those years Linux Market Share on the desktop has actually ... philosophy of Apple - later adopted by Microsoft. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: OS X "Security" myths
      ... >> lot of UNIX systems down to their knees. ... >>> their code, so they concentrate on developing exploits for Windows, ... > It does tell me that there is not much "boast factor" for malware ... Just like the Hackers convention in Las Vegas known as ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)