Re: Problem with syslog and perl

From: Nicholas Dronen (ndronen_at_io.frii.com)
Date: 09/16/03

    Date: 15 Sep 2003 23:14:48 GMT

    Andreas Gaffke <gaffke@denkunddachte.de> wrote:
    AG> Hi all,

    AG> I'm pondering on a strange problem using the Sys::Syslog module with Perl
    AG> 5.6.1 on AIX 4.3.3:

    AG> on our development system everything works fine, all log messages from perl
    AG> appear where I expect them.
    AG> On our testing and production machines (both HACMP clustered machines), no
    AG> log mesages at all are written. I've already checked the syslog.conf file,
    AG> but didn't find anything. The 'logger' command works fine on all systems.
    AG> I've even tried running syslogd in debugging mode but it shows no reaction
    AG> when trying to write messages from perl.

    AG> Has anyone run across such a problem? I think it has something to do with
    AG> the HACMP environment (this is the only difference between our development
    AG> machine and the others...)

    AG> Any help is gladly appreciated!

    Are you invoking Sys::Syslog's setlogsock? If not, according to
    the perldoc, the module will try to connect to syslogd with these
    protocols, in this order: tcp, udp, unix, stream, console.

    TCP will probably fail. UDP might succeed, perhaps depending on
    your configuration. The UNIX socket should succeed, unless the
    mode of the socket in /dev or whever AIX keeps it is too restrictive
    for the uid under which your perl process runs. Be sure to check
    the mode of that file.

    Regards,

    Nicholas

    --
    "Why shouldn't I top-post?"    http://www.aglami.com/tpfaq.html
    "Meanings are another story."  http://www.ifas.org/wa/glossolalia.html

    • Possible DBD::DB2 driver bug?
      ... I have run into a strange problem using the DBD::DB2 drivers. ... the value of $DBI::err, but if RaiseError is set, i cant trap the error with ... I believe that its in the translation from the DECIMALto a perl string. ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • Re: Parsing Huge File
      ... I have a strange problem. ... I'd get Perl to say exactly *why* it "refused to open the file" before introducing further complications like `cat`. ... Perhaps a side effect of your script changes the run-time environment for the re-run. ... Still it is unusual to get no messages, have you been assiduous in checking for errors in all statements that can potentially report run-time errors? ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Parsing Huge File
      ... I have a strange problem. ... I have a flat file of about 6 million rows, ... The problem is that, at times, Perl just stops after reading 3,334,601 ... And this is not a problem whih ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Problem with syslog and perl
      ... I'm pondering on a strange problem using the Sys::Syslog module with Perl ... on our development system everything works fine, all log messages from perl ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: Problem with syslog and perl
      ... > AG> on our development system everything works fine, all log messages from ... > machines), no AG> log mesages at all are written. ... > but it shows no reaction AG> when trying to write messages from perl. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)