Re: Find statistics of repaging !

From: Mark Taylor (mky_at_talk21.com)
Date: 01/04/05

Date: 4 Jan 2005 02:52:01 -0800

> And minperm=5% and maxperm=10%.
>
> My probleme is that the system use the swap space whereas the size of
> the cache is greater maxperm. The system should use page cache
instead
> of use swap space and I don't know why it does it.

even if maxperm is set low, you will still build filesystem cache
until you hit minfree, then you will only page file pages. you can stop
this by setting a hard limit for maxperm (strict_maxperm) or you can
stop pages being cached for a filesystem in the 1st place by mounting
them -rbrw (release behind)

HTH
Mark Taylor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SBS and use of cache
    ... > the inode cache is important for good performance. ... > using raw I/O (bypassing the file system). ... > Memory and Swap Space Utilization ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS and use of cache
    ... Sizing the Inode Cache ... the inode cache is important for good performance. ... does frequent disk accesses might need significantly more memory for the ... Memory and Swap Space Utilization ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 6GB free memory, but paging
    ... and maxperm%, while numperm% shows the usage of this cache. ... memory, ... but it could also depend on other settings. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: question related page frame reclaim on embedded system
    ... Assume a process create a share memory, seems the page that the process used can not be discard or swap out when they are no longer used by any process or no swap space. ... if not how page frame reclaiming process it? ... Whether the Least Recently Used slab cache, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Is Greenspun enough?
    ... Most OSes memory map executables directly from the file system so code doesn't pollute the file cache or swap space. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)