Re: LDAP: automatical creation of user home directories?

In article <pan.2006.02.15.13.25.29.776877@xxxxxxxx>,
Frank Luthe <Frank.Luthe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Hajo,

thanks for your quick reply.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:30:11 -0800, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
- Using a GFS Filesystem like GPFS or AFS ?

This is also, what IBM told us. But it only hands the problem over to the
file server. How does he get to know, that a new user was created and he
is expected to create the homedirectory?

- Extend the Login AUTHENTICATION procedure by your own script( Which
will create the User home directory if it does not exist )

This would be the prefered solution, if we only had the sources of the
login executable or maybe the secldapcntld. I don't know of any other
"official" hook, where we could "implant" a script.

I wonder if a precompiled version of the pam_mkhomedir.c PAM module for
AIX5.3 exists anywhere, compiling it on our own resulted in too many
errors. :-(

- Let a process reading the LDAP user data base and create the
nessessary home directories ?

This would be our last resort, because if you do this via cron, you have
some latencies implied (ok, the secldapcntld also has a 300 seconds cache
time out). Additionally checking all existing users every couple of
minutes would produce some overhead.

Frank

We're also using LDAP for authentication on AIX 5.3. We simply create
the account when we enter the info to LDAP using our own scripts. Quick
and simple.

  • Re: LDAP: automatical creation of user home directories?
    ... This is also, what IBM told us. ... file server. ... will create the User home directory if it does not exist) ... login executable or maybe the secldapcntld. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • RE: LDAP not creating home directories
    ... authenticating against my ldap server, ... Subject: RE: LDAP not creating home directories ... If a user authenticates and no home directory exists, ... >> LDAP server and clients are installed and using ldif file i am able ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: LDAP Auth?
    ... > about 15 Red Hat machines. ... NFS-mounting a home directory is ... > integrate well with LDAP, or will the two cause me headaches? ... Your ssh keys will work fine. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Gnome failing on first login
    ... I am setting up authentication using LDAP. ... The home directory is ... most Gnome related directories and files are missing. ... Login to the user and immediately log out. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Open LDAP Problem
    ... machine, which has the same OS, setup to authenticate to the LDAP ... client machine, the client machine is not creating the default ... directory rather than the home directory specified in LDAP. ... and the default profiles are loaded fine. ...
    (linux.redhat)