Re: Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address

Tom wrote:
I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an
external e-mail address.
I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone
on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone
outside the company it says host unknown.
Is there something I need to set-up to make this work?
I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open
source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an
executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay
server.
Can I get a similar program for AIX

/Tom

Try this:

add an entry to your /etc/hosts file

eg:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx hotmail.com
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain1.com
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx domain2.com

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your smtp server.

note:
you can add all the domains you need with the same ip address.

It works for me ...

  • Redhat exam
    ... redhat-list Digest, Vol 77, Issue 9 ... how to configure mail command to use a specific mail ... The most that I believe you an do is to configure the local postfix to ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: how to configure mail command to use a specific mail server?
    ... case where I needed similar functionality. ... machines uses this server as outgoing server (configure it with other ... The mail command comes with Postfix ... The most that I believe you an do is to configure the local postfix to ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address
    ... I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone ... I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open ... source program sendemail. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address
    ... I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an ... I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone ... on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone ... source program sendemail. ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • how to configure mail command to use a specific mail server?
    ... When I use the mail command from the console the mail is delivered using the ... local postfix. ... I have a postfix running in other machine and I want that the client ... machines uses this server as outgoing server (configure it with other mail ...
    (RedHat)