Re: Tool Talk Message Server Could Not Be Started

"Basil Holloway" <farl7FAKE@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Uli Link" <VonRechts.NachLinks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Basil Holloway schrieb:

# /etc/netsvc.conf
hosts = local . bind

Hi Basil,

hosts = local, bind in /etc/netsvc.conf is one step.

the hostname from "uname -n" must be resolvable to the ipaddress through
/etc/hosts

Check /etc/hosts that you have only a single(!) line with your hostname
and the ipaddress. When changing things through smitty there are often
more than one line, and /etc/hosts is checked from top down and smitty
appends to the end.

That's the trick.

--
Uli

Uli thanks for reply

# /etc/netsvc.conf has only one line

hosts = local , bind

# uname -n returns banora

# /etc/hosts has only 4 lines
127.0.0.1 loopback localhost # loopback (100) name/address
192.168.0.144 banora # 7044-170 2nd Unit
192.168.0.109 001083A109EB # HP4500DUP
192.168.0.142 martinel # 7044-170 1st Unit

I could always, and still log on as root and the computer goes straight to
the CDE desktop ie no TOOLTALK error.
I never used a password on this AIX 5.2 computer but since I installed
SAMBA/SERVER, for SWAT to work correctly with Seamonkey I had to give
root a password and used configassist to do that. Boot up to CDE under
root never faultered ie no TOOLTALK error.

The new user I created is called y with a password of cathy.
User y p/w cathy are on the W98SE computer I am trying to set up as a
Samba client.

I presume if /etc/hosts and /etc/netsvc.conf works okay for root it
should be okay for y .

Could you think what else could be wrong that is stopping y getting to
CDE on log in ?

Assistance appreciated

Basil

My old 1987 unix tutorial book said users names must be no shorter than 4
characters and no longer than 8.
So I deleted user y , rebooted, created a user ditty and ditty on logon
goes straight to the CDE desktop, no TOOLTALK error.

When a user is set up in smit, help says it must be between one and eight
charscters.

Suppose this is on case where smit was not my friend.

  • Re: Tool Talk Message Server Could Not Be Started
    ... hosts = local, bind in /etc/netsvc.conf is one step. ... the hostname from "uname -n" must be resolvable to the ipaddress through ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND
    ... I use currentlu this as a starting point and add private preferences to hosts. ... The firewall will also act as our local name server ... One of the things I'd like to do with it is use BIND to block various ... to have a separate BIND config file which is included in the main one. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Firewalls + NTP + dialup problems
    ... I'm having a problem running NTP over a dialup link between two hosts ... Both machines are running ... Make ntpd notice when host2.ppp is created and bind to it. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND
    ... curious why using BIND for this purpose instead of a proxy, ... I didn't research too hard, but figured the only way to use Bind would be to make my server authoritative for all those domains, which meant a huge config file and potential overhead, as well as possibly breaking access to desirable servers in the domains. ... So hosts seemed easier, but apparently Bind never looks at hosts. ... Then I found this site: http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html and put their list in hosts, and now client PCs get a squid error in place of ad junk. ...
    (freebsd-questions)