Re: Perl..

From: Phil Kinsley (phil_at_invalid.org)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:25:57 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, unfortunatly a full removal of the format /
reinstall isn't possible, I wonder, how does one remove cpan modules
previously installed?

I mean, I installed them via downloading the source from cpan, "perl
makefile.pl" -> "make test" -> "make install"
so maybe if I can unsintall them somehow it might help the situation?

Thanks,

Philip D. Kinsley.

http://www.peakin.co.uk
phil[at]terraservers.net
*replace [at] w/ @

"Ean Kingston" <ean@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Perl is part of the FreeBSD OS install (as is SSH, since you bring it up).
>
> To cleanly re-install perl you would have to re-install the OS from
scratch
> complete with re-formatting your /usr partition.
>
> I would suggest that you install perl from the ports collection, or build
it
> yourself, and then use the perl you installed for your in-house scripts.
>
> Also, don't use cpan. It has no tools to manage dependencies with your
> scripts. If you use the perl port, install the perl modules through ports
> or compile it yourself.
>
> If you have crucial dependencies (like we do where I work), download the
> perl module source and compile it yourself. I even go so far as to install
> the perl modules in a non-standard location so I can track what we have in
> a reasonable way.
>
> Phil Kinsley wrote:
>
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this issue, or
maybe
> > point me to somewhere that can...
> >
> > I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.7 Release (going stable soon) but before
> > we do, we need to find a solution to a problem we have with system perl.
> >
> > The version we have (and cannot upgrade due to restraints of our hosting
> > control panel) is:
> >
> > -bash-2.05b# perl -v
> >
> > This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd
> >
> > We currently have a fairly frequent perl core dump, perhaps every other
> > when a perl.core file is found in the root dir, now, we have been
advised
> > that we should reinstall this version in an attempt to start over with a
> > clean untampered perl to ensure this was not caused by an installed cpan
> > module...
> >
> > What we can't find is the port, not anywhere to get a package but having
> > just pulled down the latest stable source to upgrade the sshd deamon,
I'm