Re: Perl..

From: Phil Kinsley (phil_at_invalid.org)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:25:57 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, unfortunatly a full removal of the format /
reinstall isn't possible, I wonder, how does one remove cpan modules
previously installed?

I mean, I installed them via downloading the source from cpan, "perl
makefile.pl" -> "make test" -> "make install"
so maybe if I can unsintall them somehow it might help the situation?

Thanks,

Philip D. Kinsley.

http://www.peakin.co.uk
phil[at]terraservers.net
*replace [at] w/ @

"Ean Kingston" <ean@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Perl is part of the FreeBSD OS install (as is SSH, since you bring it up).
>
> To cleanly re-install perl you would have to re-install the OS from
scratch
> complete with re-formatting your /usr partition.
>
> I would suggest that you install perl from the ports collection, or build
it
> yourself, and then use the perl you installed for your in-house scripts.
>
> Also, don't use cpan. It has no tools to manage dependencies with your
> scripts. If you use the perl port, install the perl modules through ports
> or compile it yourself.
>
> If you have crucial dependencies (like we do where I work), download the
> perl module source and compile it yourself. I even go so far as to install
> the perl modules in a non-standard location so I can track what we have in
> a reasonable way.
>
> Phil Kinsley wrote:
>
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this issue, or
maybe
> > point me to somewhere that can...
> >
> > I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.7 Release (going stable soon) but before
> > we do, we need to find a solution to a problem we have with system perl.
> >
> > The version we have (and cannot upgrade due to restraints of our hosting
> > control panel) is:
> >
> > -bash-2.05b# perl -v
> >
> > This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd
> >
> > We currently have a fairly frequent perl core dump, perhaps every other
> > when a perl.core file is found in the root dir, now, we have been
advised
> > that we should reinstall this version in an attempt to start over with a
> > clean untampered perl to ensure this was not caused by an installed cpan
> > module...
> >
> > What we can't find is the port, not anywhere to get a package but having
> > just pulled down the latest stable source to upgrade the sshd deamon,
I'm
> > wondering if anyone knows what ver is in the /usr/src/contrib/perl5
> > directory and if this is the matching build from above anyone can
> > recommend an install procedure.... bearing in mind this is fundamental
> > the entire operation and I, myself being a learner.
> >
> > I have managed to conduct a backtrace, but been told this is not very
> > clear without the debugging symbols being enabled however again this
leads
> > to a recompile (a procedure I need help with)
> >
> > However here are the results of the backtrace:
> >
> > -bash-2.05b# gdb /usr/bin/perl ~/perl.core
> > GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
> > Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for
> > details. This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...(no
debugging
> > symbols found)...
> > Core was generated by `perl'.
> > Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libm.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libmd.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.4...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libutil.so.3...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
> > found)...done.
> > #0 0x280a9089 in Perl_sv_report_used () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> > (gdb) backtrace
> > #0 0x280a9089 in Perl_sv_report_used () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> > #1 0x280a8f9b in Perl_sv_add_arena () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> > #2 0x280a912f in Perl_sv_clean_objs () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> > #3 0x280e75a1 in perl_destruct () from /usr/lib/libperl.so.3
> > #4 0x8048e78 in main ()
> > #5 0x8048d51 in _start ()
> > (gdb)
> >
> > If anyone could advise, or offer anywhere to get further info, it would
be
> > greatly appreciated;
> >
> > Many Thanks.
> >
> > Philip D. Kinsley.
> >
> > http://www.peakin.co.uk
> > phil[at]terraservers.net
> > *replace [at] w/ @
>
> --
> due to a significant increase in scams being sent to my e-mail address, I
am
> no longer makinging it available for direct replies.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how to build Spamassassin
    ... The ports collection is great for certain things. ... it for spam assassin on 4.9 Stable. ... Install Perl 5.8.2 from ports ... Install Spam assassin from ports ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Do you use 'UNINST=1' in the build options for CPAN? ... >> Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... >>> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • RE: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Subject: Installing DBD::File via CPAN ... This is Perl 5.8.7 ... ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN') ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... This is Perl 5.8.7 ... cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation ... ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN') ...
    (perl.dbi.users)