Re: Primary Differences: FreeBSD/Linux

From: Frank Shute (frank_at_SPAMLESSesperance-linux.co.uk)
Date: 03/13/04

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:09:38 +0000

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:58:23 +0000 (UTC), Michel Talon wrote:

> Tom Ryerson <no@spam.please> wrote:
>>
>> Is Postfix open source, Michael? I know that it 'belongs' to an individual
>> whose name escapes me at the moment.
>
> I am not an expert in license questions, by far, and i don't really take
> any interest in that, but as far as i know Postfix is indeed opensource,
> and you can certainly see the source code. The individual is Vietse
> Venema, also known to be the author of TCP wrappers and the Coroner's
> toolkit, and an IBM employee, i think.
> More simply you can install it from the ports sytem, and there is a nice
> redirection mechanism in FreeBSD allowing to use indifferently
> Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, etc. only by a simple change in one file
> under /etc/mail. Even the FreeBSD installer has recently be revamped to
> allow the choice of one of these 3 mailers. I don't think that qmail is
> covered because it has a somewhat restrictive license which doesn't
> leave place to facilities in the install system.

Are you talking about the mailwrapper? ie: /etc/mail/mailer.conf

I run qmail and have this in it:

sendmail /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
send-mail /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
mailq /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread
newaliases /usr/bin/newaliases
hoststat /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat

It's one bit of software that I build by hand so I don't know what the
port gets up to on installation.

--
 Frank

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] qmail?
    ... The server I have to cope with qmail was installed several years ago and works well, so don't touch what works :-, but now I have to install a new one with new soft. ... most of the doc (not only postfix) is very hard vocabulary speaking, with nearly no definition at all and nearly no working examples... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Primary Differences: FreeBSD/Linux
    ... > Is Postfix open source, ... More simply you can install it from the ports sytem, ... Even the FreeBSD installer has recently be revamped to ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Email Server
    ... > to configure then sendmail, but this may be because I know sendmail ... Qmail has better performance, ... which is why I would recomend postfix. ... and to install ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Qmail vs. postfix
    ... Subject: Qmail vs. postfix ... Good Luck, be sure to use Life With qmail to install, (available at ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
    ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... to compare it to Postfix. ... in Sendmail. ...
    (SuSE)