Re: Primary Differences: FreeBSD/Linux

From: Frank Shute (
Date: 03/13/04

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:09:38 +0000

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:58:23 +0000 (UTC), Michel Talon wrote:
> Tom Ryerson <no@spam.please> wrote:
>> Is Postfix open source, Michael? I know that it 'belongs' to an individual
>> whose name escapes me at the moment.
> I am not an expert in license questions, by far, and i don't really take
> any interest in that, but as far as i know Postfix is indeed opensource,
> and you can certainly see the source code. The individual is Vietse
> Venema, also known to be the author of TCP wrappers and the Coroner's
> toolkit, and an IBM employee, i think.
> More simply you can install it from the ports sytem, and there is a nice
> redirection mechanism in FreeBSD allowing to use indifferently
> Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, etc. only by a simple change in one file
> under /etc/mail. Even the FreeBSD installer has recently be revamped to
> allow the choice of one of these 3 mailers. I don't think that qmail is
> covered because it has a somewhat restrictive license which doesn't
> leave place to facilities in the install system.

Are you talking about the mailwrapper? ie: /etc/mail/mailer.conf

I run qmail and have this in it:

sendmail /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
send-mail /var/qmail/bin/sendmail
mailq /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread
newaliases /usr/bin/newaliases
hoststat /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat

It's one bit of software that I build by hand so I don't know what the
port gets up to on installation.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] qmail?
    ... The server I have to cope with qmail was installed several years ago and works well, so don't touch what works :-, but now I have to install a new one with new soft. ... most of the doc (not only postfix) is very hard vocabulary speaking, with nearly no definition at all and nearly no working examples... ...
  • Re: Primary Differences: FreeBSD/Linux
    ... > Is Postfix open source, ... More simply you can install it from the ports sytem, ... Even the FreeBSD installer has recently be revamped to ...
  • Re: Email Server
    ... > to configure then sendmail, but this may be because I know sendmail ... Qmail has better performance, ... which is why I would recomend postfix. ... and to install ...
  • Re: Qmail vs. postfix
    ... Subject: Qmail vs. postfix ... Good Luck, be sure to use Life With qmail to install, (available at ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
    ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... to compare it to Postfix. ... in Sendmail. ...