Re: nVidia video driver - ugh!

From: jake johnson (marko.online_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/17/04

Date: 16 Aug 2004 16:38:14 -0700

Neil <neshort-drop-@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.08.16.15.12.58.562935@yahoo.com>...
> I can't figure this out.
> My goal is to be able to use both the LCD and the CRT videos (for public
> projection.)
[...snip...]
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Aug 15 17:10:23 2004
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/XF86Config"
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
[...snip...]

First of all, I'm no expert on this, but I think the first issue is
indicated by the line:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
AFAIK, a kernel module is created during the compilation/installation
of the FreeBSD NVIDIA driver that you get from the nvidia website.
You made no mention of even installing this driver, although you
edited the config file nicely to use the "nvidia" driver in place of
the "nv" driver. So, let's confirm that you've obtained the nvidia
driver from their website. During the install, a kernel module will
be created so that it can interface with the kernel. This step
requires the kernel source code to be installed on your system so it
can be compiled against it. Please advise us where you stand on these
points.

Also, please note that I know nothing of this driver's functionality
of LCD/CRT operation. The primary advantage is that it gives you 3D
acceleration (direct rendering). This is required by gaming software
such as Unreal Tournament 2004, among other software.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] 11.0 DVD fresh install: boot to command line
    ... When installing a backup Debian I encountered a few minor ... 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX ... and click Accept, set your display up as explained below, and then run yast ... IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORKING nvidia DRIVER INSTALLED, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: re nvidia drivers
    ... > I'm still trying to install nvidia drivers. ... > Can anyone explain why the nvidia kernel cannot be seen? ... follow these steps which I will include and build the driver again ... Bob's guide to installing the nVidia driver on Debian ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)
    ... In the meanwhile, since I'm installing on a SSD, ... After installation I tried to install the nvidia drivers from RPM ... once it's loaded the nvidia driver can't load. ... hurt to leave the kernel parameter there. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: nvidia driver problem
    ... need some help on the strange behaviour on installing of one of the ... newest nvidia-drivers from their website for specific needs. ... as root i installed this driver. ... i too replaced in that configuration manually the native nv-driver "nv" with "nvidia" without results. ...
    (Debian-User)