Re: 4 CD set

From: Bill Laird (vk2bla_at_northnet.com.au)
Date: 02/06/05

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 05:55:19 +0000

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On 2005-02-05, Bill Laird <vk2bla@northnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Since moving from 5.1 to 5.3 it appears applications like Gimp, xmms,
>>koffice etc have gone from 4 CD set.
>>Yea I did download same via 56k and a few extras like Abiword via ADSL
>>at work the home via mem. key.
>>
>>Cut down kde, gnome are fine but why drop many commonly used apps from
>>CD set??
>>Whilst I don't actually use kde or gnome I've usually had kde + koffice
>>aboard to import word docs people send me...
>>
>>Personally I can't justify paying ADSL rates for what I do on the www
>>
>>Now hardly worth buying the 4 CD set.
>>
>>Is some new policy in place???
>

> What "4 CD set" did you download? FreeBSD.org doesn't produce one.
> If you're talking about the 2 CD set (+ 2 cut-down installation
> disks), then the only packages are on disc 1, and the ~700MB ISO size
> severely restricts the number of packages that can be installed, and
> there is essentially *no space* to include anything else than what is
> already there.
>
> Kris

OK get the message now I think

3 CD's + live File system CD (must try it one day!)
I guess it's the two official plus some extra packages
Just that packages fitted on 5.1 set but then later packages are
probably bigger as well.
Set is Australian from: http://www.lsl.com.au/
I buy the CD's rather than downloading the images that's all...

Thanks

--
de Bill VK2BLA
FreeBSD 5.3