Re: 4 CD set

From: Bill Laird (vk2bla_at_northnet.com.au)
Date: 02/06/05

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 05:55:19 +0000

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On 2005-02-05, Bill Laird <vk2bla@northnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Since moving from 5.1 to 5.3 it appears applications like Gimp, xmms,
>>koffice etc have gone from 4 CD set.
>>Yea I did download same via 56k and a few extras like Abiword via ADSL
>>at work the home via mem. key.
>>
>>Cut down kde, gnome are fine but why drop many commonly used apps from
>>CD set??
>>Whilst I don't actually use kde or gnome I've usually had kde + koffice
>>aboard to import word docs people send me...
>>
>>Personally I can't justify paying ADSL rates for what I do on the www
>>
>>Now hardly worth buying the 4 CD set.
>>
>>Is some new policy in place???
>

> What "4 CD set" did you download? FreeBSD.org doesn't produce one.
> If you're talking about the 2 CD set (+ 2 cut-down installation
> disks), then the only packages are on disc 1, and the ~700MB ISO size
> severely restricts the number of packages that can be installed, and
> there is essentially *no space* to include anything else than what is
> already there.
>
> Kris

OK get the message now I think

3 CD's + live File system CD (must try it one day!)
I guess it's the two official plus some extra packages
Just that packages fitted on 5.1 set but then later packages are
probably bigger as well.
Set is Australian from: http://www.lsl.com.au/
I buy the CD's rather than downloading the images that's all...

Thanks

--
de Bill VK2BLA
FreeBSD 5.3

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 4 CD ISOs for 5.2 ?
    ... On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 6:11 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote: ... > two contain a subset of packages; the full set of packages is ... I generally download the ISOs from my office, where I have Windows. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Some thoughts about yum and repositories
    ... > can at least use a yum.conf if we can copy or download it. ... that yum can locate and download for you. ... When you want to add a new repository to your yum.conf, ... You can use a tool like wget to download packages ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Newbie needinhg a screen reader
    ... I need to download to have a working screen reader. ... have tried Vinux 3.0 but Ubuntu does not include modem support. ... Then you have to decide which graphic interface you want: KDE, gnome xfce or ... It is possible, and sometimes desirable, to use one DE but use packages associated with another DE. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: /var partition seems locked or read only
    ... Do you have large open files that have been removed? ... If you had an aptitude run have problems check for old aptitude and dpkg ... next night and so on until all of the packages had downloaded properly. ... The problem started with a network failure, which avoided aptitude to download, and so update, some packages, and now some packages are broken. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Low cost PCB layout software
    ... >could not get either release to install. ... I then tried to download 4.11 and ... Other packages installed ok, ... >Eagle Cadsoft Can't download or install ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)