Re: AMD64 and IBM xSeries server

pakrat_at_localhost.private.neotoma.org
Date: 02/10/05

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:22:22 GMT

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:29:49 +0800 in <cug04r$er4$1@news.hgc.com.hk> sam <sam.wun@authtec.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question have been asked number of times, but I don't have an
> impression that they are all being confirmed and answered.
>
> I basically would like to know which AMD64 and IBM xSeries server
> hardware does FreeBSD 5.3 will support. And how stable does FreeBSD
> running in these machines in real-life.

Look,
If you need official support talk to your IBM marketing rep about
getting a configuration approved for your needs.
If you're just dinking around, IBM should have the Hardware Maintenance
Manuals online and that'll give you a rough idea on the chipsets for
the disk controllers, video, and network.

On board disk controllers, at last glance are LSI (Work just fine with
the Linux MPT driver on Linux) and Adaptec OpenRAID (Disable
hardware RAID seems to be the standard recommendation for everyone
but Windows users).
Ethernet is a broadcom that is new enough to not work until
recent updates of SuSE and Red Hat.
Video is ATI VE7000 or something similar.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidance -- Brazil