Re: AMD64 and IBM xSeries server

pakrat_at_localhost.private.neotoma.org
Date: 02/10/05

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:22:22 GMT

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:29:49 +0800 in <cug04r$er4$1@news.hgc.com.hk> sam <sam.wun@authtec.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question have been asked number of times, but I don't have an
> impression that they are all being confirmed and answered.
>
> I basically would like to know which AMD64 and IBM xSeries server
> hardware does FreeBSD 5.3 will support. And how stable does FreeBSD
> running in these machines in real-life.

Look,
If you need official support talk to your IBM marketing rep about
getting a configuration approved for your needs.
If you're just dinking around, IBM should have the Hardware Maintenance
Manuals online and that'll give you a rough idea on the chipsets for
the disk controllers, video, and network.

On board disk controllers, at last glance are LSI (Work just fine with
the Linux MPT driver on Linux) and Adaptec OpenRAID (Disable
hardware RAID seems to be the standard recommendation for everyone
but Windows users).
Ethernet is a broadcom that is new enough to not work until
recent updates of SuSE and Red Hat.
Video is ATI VE7000 or something similar.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidance -- Brazil

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Vic-20 inside a single FPGA
    ... semi-forgotten hardware tricks of video game and home computer hardware ... various audio, video and storage functionality. ... 1-5 Brief History of Home Video Game Systems ... 6-2 Character-Based Systems and User Defined Graphics ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: Linux, X, ld, gcc, linking, shared libraries and stuff
    ... >> because, originally, video cards / system RAM could NOT afford to have ... > GL actually "copies" everything, but it's done by the graphics card, so ... > anyway if it's not hardware accelerated. ... installed the proper driver, then it zooms around the screen... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: checking if NUMERIC
    ... IBM hardware does not have a "numeric type" field. ... In BAL and COBOL. ... :>makes sense to apply a Class test on it. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: New Cobol compiler written in Cobol
    ... I don't regard pre-95 Windows as a milestone. ... MY 20 year cycles are based on hardware platform. ... >IBM manufacturing the chips while PS/3 also uses IBM tecnology which ... China doesn't want that, it wants millions of low priced ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Ten Things I Miss about Big Iron
    ... from ordinary workspace to allow for a raised floor to limit dust and ... floor and went with overhead cable trays. ... through the floor like they had 15 years before with Big VAX hardware. ... programmers or the guys from IBM. ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)