Re: FreeBSD vs Solaris 10

From: John Rushford (jrushford21_at_comcast.net)
Date: 09/16/05

    Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:02:59 -0600

    Philip Paeps wrote:
    > FreeBSD is a ``Real OS'' too. As far as I'm concerned, Solaris is only useful
    > on the enormous n-way sparc64 boxen Sun manufactures. It's wasted on 'normal'
    > hardware like what you'd run an 'ordinary' webserver on.
    >
    > Note: one day, FreeBSD will also work great on the n-way sparc64 boxen. At
    > the moment, it's working great on the 'low' to 'midrange' Sun hardware, but
    > it's not had much battle testing on the big iron. (Working on it :-o).

    Solaris does have better Java support naturally, and I believe that on a
    FreeBSD webserver your limited to just jboss/tomcat, I'm not aware of
    any other options.

    I've always found that building many open source packages to be much
    more difficult with Solaris but, I've only used Solaris 2.4 thru 2.8.
    So, I prefer to use FreeBSD and its ports system.

    John Rushford

    • Suche eine Inspiritation... :-)
      ... Mit zwei Prozessoren, 2GB RAM ... Dann kam FreeBSD 6.irgendwas drauf, ... wirklich mit Solaris funktioniert. ... Controller von Promise oder was weiß ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.misc)
    • Re: Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?
      ... Solaris is not a viable option. ... FreeBSD looks like the next best available option at the moment, ... support my OpenSource projects and personal files. ... of course Solaris has latest version of ZFS but still..... ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: whats making executables so large?
      ... each shared library mapped to a separate memory page and memory page ... using Solaris tools to monitor process size and virtual memory. ... The RSS sizes under FreeBSD and Solaris were similar, ... the RSS sizes are nearly identical. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: wchar_t is useless
      ... On Windows, the wchar_t string encoding is ... ``On Solaris and FreeBSD, the wchar_t encoding is locale dependent and undocumented.'' ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: difference Debian, solaris, freebsd
      ... Solaris is not open source, it was created by Sun Microsystems, and it is ... FreeBSD has, arguably, a better package system in the ports tree. ... but why one should choose Debian or freebsd over others? ...
      (Debian-User)