Re: FreeBSD vs Solaris 10

From: John Rushford (jrushford21_at_comcast.net)
Date: 09/16/05

    Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:02:59 -0600

    Philip Paeps wrote:
    > FreeBSD is a ``Real OS'' too. As far as I'm concerned, Solaris is only useful
    > on the enormous n-way sparc64 boxen Sun manufactures. It's wasted on 'normal'
    > hardware like what you'd run an 'ordinary' webserver on.
    >
    > Note: one day, FreeBSD will also work great on the n-way sparc64 boxen. At
    > the moment, it's working great on the 'low' to 'midrange' Sun hardware, but
    > it's not had much battle testing on the big iron. (Working on it :-o).

    Solaris does have better Java support naturally, and I believe that on a
    FreeBSD webserver your limited to just jboss/tomcat, I'm not aware of
    any other options.

    I've always found that building many open source packages to be much
    more difficult with Solaris but, I've only used Solaris 2.4 thru 2.8.
    So, I prefer to use FreeBSD and its ports system.

    John Rushford