Re: what sets env MACHTYPE and OSTYPE

From: Kris Kennaway (kkenn_at_xor.obsecurity.org)
Date: 09/19/05

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:55:44 -0400

On 2005-09-18, Mark Worsdall <freebsd@NoSpAmPlEaSe-wizdom.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <slrndiri3n.3jv.kkenn@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway
><kkenn@xor.obsecurity.org> writes
>>On 2005-09-18, Mark Worsdall <freebsd@NoSpAmPlEaSe-wizdom.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it correct that on a FreeBSD4.11 STABLE machine, that when I look at
>>> the env with printenv I get these 2 values with are wrong:
>>>
>>> MACHTYPE=i386--freebsd4.2
>>> OSTYPE=freebsd4.2
>>>
>>> What sets them and where?
>>
>>What shell are you using, and did you compile it yourself by hand?
>>
> bash 2.04 and yes did compile it myself Jan 19 2001
>
> will:
>
> cd /usr/ports/shell/bash2
> make deinstall distclean
>
> and
>
> cd /usr/ports/shell/bash
> make install distclean

Sounds like it's misconfigured and polluting your environment. This
could be the cause of some of your other problems too.

If you compiled it by hand (i.e. not using the ports tree) then you
won't easily be able to remove it if there are lots of files scattered
throughout the system. If you didn't compile by hand but used a port,
pkg_delete is enough to remove it, and you can then reinstall the
latest version of the port.

Kris

Relevant Pages

  • Re: what sets env MACHTYPE and OSTYPE
    ... >> make deinstall distclean ... >Sounds like it's misconfigured and polluting your environment. ... If you didn't compile by hand but used a port, ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: what sets env MACHTYPE and OSTYPE
    ... In message, Kris Kennaway ... >> Is it correct that on a FreeBSD4.11 STABLE machine, ... and did you compile it yourself by hand? ... make deinstall distclean ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • ANNOUNCE: release 2 of DJGPP port of GNU debugger (GDB) 7.2 uploaded.
    ... This is a port of GNU debugger (GDB) 7.2 to MSDOS/DJGPP. ... DJGPP specific changes. ... This is necessary to be able to compile a GDB version with TUI support. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)
  • ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of GNU binutils 2.24 uploaded.
    ... This is a port of GNU binutils 2.24 to MSDOS/DJGPP. ... This port allows a maximal number of 4294967296 relocations per object file ... That script is very simple and will only work to configure and compile the ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)
  • ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of FreeBE/AF 1.2 uploaded.
    ... This is a port of FreeBE/AF 1.2 to MSDOS/DJGPP. ... DJGPP specific changes. ... Please note that I have no hardware to test if the drivers really work. ... To compile this program the allegro library and certain ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)