Re: How to turn DNS off in sshd_config?

From: David Malone (dwmalone_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: 10/07/05

Date: 7 Oct 2005 09:31:00 +0100

"OttawaTrade" <speediercoREMOVE_THIS@yahoo.com> writes:

>My server's DNS is very unstable, so many times, I can not ssh in, because
>it keeps doing reverse DNS on the IP which sshs from.

>Is there a way to turn it off?

I suspect it is tricky to completly turn off because you will have
to stop sshd, libwrap and any pam modules from doing DNS lookups.
I've found that is is easier to increase "LoginGraceTime" to be
greater than the default DNS timeouts. Try adding "LoginGraceTime
180" to your sshd_config and then HUPing sshd.

        David.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cannot ssh into a box with DHCP assigned IP address
    ... Ok I think you've got a DNS resolution problem here, ... SSHD tries to resolve your client's hostname. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sshd boot-time delay
    ... Could somebody please remind me how to get rid of the boot-time delay ... when sshd starts! ... I suspect this is something to do with sshd's relation to DNS, ... sendmail enabled on a network with crappy reverse DNS resolving ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: ssh only with internet connection?
    ... > I have experienced quite a strange behavior of sshd that I'd like to fix ... > to the Internet via ADSL. ... Box A is configured as a DNS server, ... > connection is down, ssh stops working. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: OpenSSH and hostname resolution issues on Solaris
    ... if you have DNS configured via ... >> Worst case the machine never gets past starting sshd during ... PARANOID in hosts.deny but we haven't used the ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: OpenSSH and hostname resolution issues on Solaris
    ... if you have DNS configured via ... > Worst case the machine never gets past starting sshd during ... > The OpenSSH in question is anything from ~2.9 to 3.5p1, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)