Re: Is it always this difficult to get started with BSD/unix?

From: entropy (entropy_at_domain.invalid)
Date: 10/13/05

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:35:22 GMT

nospam@hotmail.com wrote...
> With all due respect to yourself, ALL of my small business and home office
> IT clients run Windows. Like it or not, that's 92% of my market. And, I like
> it just fine.

If it's your market, it's your market. It's off-topic here, though.

> I also do web application development -- hence the new interest BSD.

Then just take BSD/*nix on its own terms and do what you have to do
to work with it. Or not. But getting wordy with people here because
it's "harder" than Windows justs wastes time and energy.

I've had to do some occasional development on Win32, and there's
nothing "easy" about writing software for a platform you don't know
very well. "Easy" is a function of how much knowledge you have.

Given a GUI, my 4-yo and 2-yo sons can surf PBSKIDS.ORG equally well
on any of several OSes we have running here. I'm posting this from
XP because I'm too lazy to hit the console switch to post it from
Linux or FreeBSD.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: My Migrations
    ... particular model with "Windows, Linux, or BeOS" they lose a million ... If a competitor looks like gaining market share they simply buy them, ... MS wanted a share of the entertainment business, ... monopolies. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Govt.
    ... Windows, or for that matter a computer *at all*. ... Go to any large retail store and all you can buy is the "consumer" ... Any vendor that decided to increase their market by installing ... dollars, but if they sold say, OS/2 installed, they either would not get ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Believe me, you WANT to read this!
    ... market to gain entry to another. ... MS is spending billions from Windows ... > are the norm in almost every business (if you're a grocer, ... revenue by offering secure access to music and films via DRM. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Why do so many people love Teas Instruments?
    ... That is why casual user drives what is mass market ... in the initial Linux package and she wanted to do it herself. ... You can do it without any help on Windows in 99% of cases using simple GUI ... when some more features such as programming are needed. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Re: Should Microsoft just give up on the Windows platform?
    ... Windows has steadily been losing marketshare to OSX for many years. ... In the server space it's the best value going, ... Xserves & Xserve Raids currently cover about 70% of the server market. ... but I had not heard Apple had got certified. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)