Re: If you used Linux before why did you switch to FreeBSD?

From: Matthias Buelow (mkb_at_incubus.de)
Date: 10/16/05

Date: 15 Oct 2005 23:56:50 GMT

IMHO the su/wheel feature is overstressed; in practice, exploits don't
happen by guessing (or stealing) the root password, and if you have a
changing number of people with root access, you're better of by
employing sudo and not handing out the root password in the first place.

mkb.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firefox
    ... in the wall: ... >> If I'm in YaST, I'm guessing I don't need to be logged in root as it asks me ... >> for my root password to begin with? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Shutdown w/o root password.
    ... Why I don't need to supply the root password to shutdown the computer from ... "In theory there's no difference between the theory and the practice. ... Anyway, IMHO it isn't related to the desktop manager I use, but the Desktop Environment. ... When I shutdown from the desktop manager it asks me the password, but from GNOME it just shuts down. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Shutdown w/o root password.
    ... Why I don't need to supply the root password to shutdown the computer from gnome?... ... I've been searching for any option related but didn't find any. ... Linux User #404138 "In theory there's no difference between the theory and the practice. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: If you used Linux before why did you switch to FreeBSD?
    ... > happen by guessing (or stealing) the root password, ... IME they do happen, but even if they didn't, that is quite besides the ... > employing sudo and not handing out the root password in the first place. ... That does not make my desiring to have the wheel mechanism any less ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)