Re: rebuild world with NO_SENDMAIL=YES

From: Matthew X. Economou (xenophon+usenet_at_irtnog.org)
Date: 10/28/05

Date: 28 Oct 2005 14:44:04 -0400

>>>>> "Keve" == Keve Nagy <see_my_sig@address.invalid> writes:

    Keve> My idea is to do a buildworld having "NO_SENDMAIL=YES" in
    Keve> /etc/make.conf. Then remove the files left over from
    Keve> sendmail, and build postfix from the ports.

Why bother? It seems like an awful lot of work to recover maybe a few
megabytes of disk space (if that is all you are after). I ask out of
genuine curiosity. In my world, such effort can't be justified,
especially when replacing Sendmail with Postfix is as simple as
editing three files.

    Keve> My question is: how risky is a buildworld for my existing
    Keve> ports/packages and apps?

It depends. Anything that is statically linked will break if the
kernel system call interface changes. Anything that dynamically
linked to libraries in the base system will break if any type
signatures change. The package database itself will not be affected.
Practically speaking, I've had no problems, but the potential is there
for serious breakage.

Best wishes,
Matthew

--
jsoffron: I'm generally pretty high on national defense...
Mr. Bad Example: Careful...it's a gateway policy. Before you know it,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to replace sendmail with postfix?
    ... John> postfix might offer over sendmail. ... I installed Postfix because I had a hard time figuring out how to do ... sweet NAFTA. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: sendmail vs. postfix question
    ... > Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as ... > Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the ... > Postfix has a different architecture, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: [opensuse] How to monitor Linux systems from a focal/central point (was: ranting and raving abo
    ... I'm perfectly well aware of how to set up Postfix, and, for my sins, ... workstation ran Postfix, exim, sendmail or other such MTA. ... this is solely regarding the case of a minimal install on a resource-limited ... client machine that has absolutely no need for an MTA to be installed. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Large Prod Env Mail Host Was [Re: ClamAV Feedback]
    ... > Postfix is inappropriate for our task as it's not configurable enough ... Milter and LDAP support must be ... I believe you're building sendmail yourself them. ... > users to change their passwords and other things on the LDAP servers. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: java on RH AS 3.0?
    ... same program names) and switch between them without uninstalling either. ... Its most common use is to switch between sendmail and postfix, ... is done using a series of 'slave' links which are automtically switched ...
    (RedHat)