Re: FreeBSD on sparc64

On 11 Jun 2007 20:57:22 GMT, Philip Paeps <philip+usenet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Barr <stanb45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There can't be many of us running FreeBSD sparc64, with Solaris 10 being
freely available...

[snip]

Of course, with OpenSolaris, you could probably throw useless stuff out of
their kernel, but I would imagine it's easier with FreeBSD. In all honesty,
Solaris doesn't interest me much at home. I fight with it enough at work.

Chances are I'm not the only one. :-)

I cheat...I run both at home. I'm playing with x86 Solaris atm, but Sun
gear is much nicer than cheap PCs, so I'm looking for a bigger and better
Sun box :-)

(also got Linux on x86 and PPC and various PDP-11 unices going back as
far as 1974...but FreeBSD does seem the "cleanest" and neatest.)

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!

  • Suche eine Inspiritation... :-)
    ... Mit zwei Prozessoren, 2GB RAM ... Dann kam FreeBSD 6.irgendwas drauf, ... wirklich mit Solaris funktioniert. ... Controller von Promise oder was weiß ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.misc)
  • Re: Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?
    ... Solaris is not a viable option. ... FreeBSD looks like the next best available option at the moment, ... support my OpenSource projects and personal files. ... of course Solaris has latest version of ZFS but still..... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: whats making executables so large?
    ... each shared library mapped to a separate memory page and memory page ... using Solaris tools to monitor process size and virtual memory. ... The RSS sizes under FreeBSD and Solaris were similar, ... the RSS sizes are nearly identical. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: difference Debian, solaris, freebsd
    ... Solaris is not open source, it was created by Sun Microsystems, and it is ... FreeBSD has, arguably, a better package system in the ports tree. ... but why one should choose Debian or freebsd over others? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: wchar_t is useless
    ... On Windows, the wchar_t string encoding is ... ``On Solaris and FreeBSD, the wchar_t encoding is locale dependent and undocumented.'' ...
    (comp.lang.c)