Re: firefox 2 on FreeBSD 6.1

Just for the record:

~# X -version

X Window System Version 6.9.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005

If it was upgraded it would be 7.0, I think. And, yes, I am running
RELEASE.

I am using packages instead of ports whenever possible for obvious
reasons. They are
much quicker to install.

Installation went quickly, with only a few other packages upgraded,
and with a couple of warnings
about the versions being too old (nss, nspr, glib, etc.)

Considering portupgrade, I've seen a thread here, where person tried
and failed with firefox. I didn't even bothered to try because what I
did was quick and simple. Nice, little UNIX hack. I am going to write
a shell script and try on another machine. If all goes ok, I am going
to post the script here. It might help someone. It might not be in
spirit of this or that, but it makes life easier.

DG

  • Re: Flame Bait! Windows vs: The Unices
    ... I think it's safe to say that a Windows solution to this sort of thing ... >> database, pipes that output to a python program that produces the ... It's not part of the default install on any I'm familiar with, ... merely executing the shell script updates the data from ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: How to completely reinstall a package?
    ... There are several different ways to get the X window system running on ... The startx script wrapper around xinit is an oldie but goodie. ... probably want to install the minimum X11 system. ... conveniently pulled in by the x-window-system-core meta package. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Login on Fedora 17
    ... what happened that caused your X Window System to fail. ... the password I was using simply wouldn't work on the initial install ... If you'r having trouble with the root password, ... You can then type the following command to complete normal startup: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: /etc/crontab does not exist but Leopard now runs cronjob
    ... Archive and Install. ...  My cronjobs, as I expected, stopped running. ... Under Leopard, the periodic tasks are performed by launchd, as specified ... You didn't mention anything about a shell script in ~/bin when you asked ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [opensuse] NVidia driver and acpi on 10.2
    ... If you are using Nvidia drivers from their site you will notice there is a readme there for SuSe users. ... I would also suggest NOT following the Yast update source instructions currently for 10.2 because they will give you an unresolvable package dependency error. ... The best bet you have to install the latest driver is to download and run the shell script. ... You will then be thrown through the hoops of the shell script and when the module attempts to build a new kernel module it will fail. ...
    (SuSE)