Re: /etc/passwd related problem; blocked system-account

On 2007-07-10, Koppe scribbled these
curious markings:
I'm rather new to FreeBSD though I've been using
Linux for a while. I'm currently trying out FreeBSD,
but I guess I should mention that I'm using v. 6.0.

Your experience with Linux shows very clearly in what you've written.
Things are different in FreeBSD, as I'll demonstrate.

I've been tampering with /etc/sudoers in order to
^^^ /usr/local/etc/sudoers
Unfortunately, it doesn't work! I get a message that
"The account is not currently available" (or something
like that). I got the excact same message from
running the default "shell" for "operator";
/usr/local/bin/nologin .

Er, don't you mean /sbin/nologin ?

My problem is that the message remains even if I
replace "nologin" with /bin/sh i both /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd... the message remains.

/etc/passwd is a public copy, so to speak, of /etc/master.passwd. You
edit the latter, not the former, and you do so with vipw. Therefore,
your changes were not propagated to a resource that your utilities know
to check.

My question is therefor; is there something else
that specifies locked accounts, or maybe a delay
before changing the shell/passwd in
/etc/[master.]passwd is noticed?

Not quite, you weren't editing them properly.

I edited the files (mostly) by hand, is there a
"proper" way to do these things?

Yes. See above. There's also a visudo command.

Due to your obvious infamiliarity with FreeBSD, I must at this juncture
suggest that you read the Handbook, available at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ .

Best Regards,
Christopher Nehren
--
<apeiron> Yaakov, And it seems to me that the only people going on about
"freedom" these days are RMS and Bush.

  • Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question
    ... the FreeBSD developers told everyone that 5.3 was da ... initially over linux not because there's a bunch of good guys on the ... My tests measure kernel performance; ... > a networking device is a key performance indicator. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
    ... my freeBSD days seem to be coming to an end. ... freeBSD will be support this GPU in R9... ... i really like freeBSD's robustness, especially compared to linux, among ... tight, we run CentOS, which is essentially a repackaged version of RHEL. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: flowtable usable or not
    ... How long did they raped Linux to get it that way looking? ... well, right or wrong, that is then issue for whom likes to compile, we ... the user domain of FreeBSD is shrinking. ... almost composed of developers or insiders or programmers or lovers, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Newbie Experience
    ... I've only been around since FreeBSD 5.4 ... FreeBSD kernel too. ... always sunshine and linux is farts. ... in the hey day of AT&T Unix I'm ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Review of FreeBSD 5.4
    ... but not less problems compared to FreeBSD. ... If you like to have a bleeding edge system using debian --- just go ... > the linux kernel suffers. ... When the kernel suffers, everyone who uses ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)