Re: Definition of off64_t

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:40:54 -0500, Steven G. Kargl wrote:

In article
<19b8d345-e901-4c63-8035-c7ba6f0943df@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
TC <C.discussions@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Hi,

I am trying to port an application written on Linux to FreeBSD. During
compile, I am getting an error saying that off64_t is not defined.
Which header file do I need to include to get the definition for
off64_t ?

off64_t isn't defined on FreeBSD in a header supplied by the system.
You'll need to look at the definition on linux and find the appropriate
value in stdint.h

It's almost certainly off_t (aka long long or perhaps unsigned long long
in c99). To the OP: FreeBSD doesn't have off64_t because off_t et al are
64 bits, even on 32-bit systems, and have been ever since the net4.4
release from UCB (at least). Consequently, there isn't a separate set of
interfaces for 32-bit and 64-bit files or file systems, they're all 64-
bit.

On the flip-side, if the OP doesn't want to fix the code, I suppose that
he could compile it as linux, under linux emulation...

Cheers,

--
Andrew

  • Re: Confessions of a Linux Wannabe
    ... wouldn't be able to tell you if it is using Linux or FreeBSD. ... As for software installation: FreeBSD has a package management system ... download/build dependencies if applicable, configure and compile the ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Problem compiling cgi on 4.10 Release
    ... > won't run or compile on FreeBSD 4.10 Release? ... In the worst case I need one snippet of code for FreeBSD and a different ... snippet for Linux. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question
    ... the FreeBSD developers told everyone that 5.3 was da ... initially over linux not because there's a bunch of good guys on the ... My tests measure kernel performance; ... > a networking device is a key performance indicator. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
    ... my freeBSD days seem to be coming to an end. ... freeBSD will be support this GPU in R9... ... i really like freeBSD's robustness, especially compared to linux, among ... tight, we run CentOS, which is essentially a repackaged version of RHEL. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Newbie Experience
    ... I've only been around since FreeBSD 5.4 ... FreeBSD kernel too. ... always sunshine and linux is farts. ... in the hey day of AT&T Unix I'm ...
    (freebsd-questions)