Re: oddness when upgrading to 2.0.2

From: Igor Sobrado (igor_at_string1.ciencias.uniovi.es)
Date: 04/26/05

Date: 26 Apr 2005 19:56:52 +0200

Timothy Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:

> First, I cannot su to root anymore. I can login as root from the
> console, though.

What is the message returned by the system? Are you in the wheel
group? If now, you can add wheel as a secondary group to your
current user "usermod -G wheel ..."

Hopefully, the passwd file looks nice, as you can log in as root
from the console.

> Second, etcupdate creates the directories (from etc.tgz) under / instead
> of under /etc - is that correct? Equivalent directories already exist
> in /etc so I figured that's where the new stuff ought to be going.

I never used etcupdate (sorry, a fresh install and updated backups
seem more reliable to me) but my first though is that you must
execute etcupdate from /etc... I suppose that a chroot to etc is
not required! There are users and developers in this newsgroup
that will help you better with this problem, as I never used
etcupdate.

Good luck.

Igor.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Regretable Forking of linux
    ... I always disallow any direct root logins on all of my systems, ... What if everyone in the wheel ... any root access, even from console, gets for you; ... Root /can/ still log in if the system goes down to runlevel 1 - on my ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Help with sudoers and wheel - "Old Guy" or anyone?
    ... (I am root on my home systems, and have "root" user accounts at work, ... Notice - no permissions for normal users to run. ... members of the 'wheel' group could run those commands. ... >Use halt, reboot, shutdown, mount, and tcpdump commands. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • kernel allows loadkeys to be used by any user, allowing for local root compromise
    ... It does not just apply to the current virtual console ... > Then log out and let root login (in a computer pool, ... > As a solution, I propose that the loadkeys command (or more exactly, the ... Most of the VT ioctls are only garded by the following permissions, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Problem with xterm/console
    ... I'd really like to start working as a standard user ... exactly like you wrote above - use root only when it's needed. ... >>console) works perfectly. ... if you're installing packages from rpm's (as you ought to be ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cannot log in via console, cannot su(1), only as root
    ... questions@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of martinko ... cannot log in via console, cannot su, only as root ... suto a normal user (it even doesn't ask for password a throws ...
    (freebsd-questions)