Re: OpenBSD console

From: Hugo Villeneuve (hugo_at_EINTR.net)
Date: 05/25/05

    Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:58:01 -0400

    Slava Pogodin <justmailplz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Help me, plz! I don't understand the answers I already founded in
    > google and google.groups.com search engines. My trouble: don't work
    > keys Del, Home, End on my standard 104-keys PC keyboard. I read FAQ,
    > wsconsctl(8) and kbd(8) manuals, read /etc/termcap,
    > /usr/include/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h but... Help me with solution, plz.

    The OpenBSD console simulate a correct standard EPC keyboard but the
    TERM name selected for the consoles is "vt220". Which doesn't match at
    all the wscons keyboard in its terminfo entry.

    For exemple:

    termcapname wscons vt220
    -----------------------------
    key_home \E[7~ \E[1~
    key_end \E[8~ \E[4~

    key_f1 \E[11~ \EOP
    key_f4 \E[14~ \EOS
    key_f5 \E[15~ \E[17~

    This means that no curse/termcap application will ever be able to use
    properly the HOME, END and all the functions keys on a OpenBSD console
    using wscons own keyboard mapping (sparc use something else).

    DEL,INS,PGDN,PGUP,UP,LEFT,RIGHT,DOWN should work.

    I don't have a solution for this problem. Personnaly, I just don't use
    the console often enought to miss them. I go into Xterms pretty fast.

    I do had a questions about it. Like on which wscons supported arch you
    can use a true ANSI keyboard? For who wscons keep PF1...PF4 and
    SELECT,FIND mappings? And from where terminfo gets it's keyboard
    capabilities?

    I coudn't test if it was better in the pre-wscons era.

    --
    Hugo Villeneuve <hugo@EINTR.net>

    • Re: Keyboard test page updated
      ... Keyboard handling is one of the hardest cross-browser issues. ... Looks good to me at this point, having tested numerous browsers ... Control or Meta keys). ... keypress events on keydown after sniffing out certain browsers (e.g. ...
      (comp.lang.javascript)
    • Linux problems with USB HID keyboards and patches
      ... Navigator USB connected keyboard. ... page 0x7, usage 0xe5, code 54 ... The mapping of HID keys to event keys and from event keys ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Great SWT Program
      ... issues of environment input options vs. individual application input ... One trivial example would be a 100-key keyboard where ... The number of keys and the force needed are orthogonal, ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: F lock key!
      ... > keyboard has power and then pressing the F2 key or if I want ... remapping of the function keys. ... That means to use those applications that use the ... function keys as intended I have to MANUALLY switch the F-Lock key on/off ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: ot -keyboard woes
      ... This is leaning more towards either water trapped somewhere ... within the KB circuit board that's shorting out these three keys. ... holes punched in it under the keys, the bottom sheet has the other ... before with the keyboard and that approach worked fine then. ...
      (sci.space.history)