Re: OpenBSD console

From: Hugo Villeneuve (hugo_at_EINTR.net)
Date: 05/25/05

    Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:58:01 -0400

    Slava Pogodin <justmailplz@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Help me, plz! I don't understand the answers I already founded in
    > google and google.groups.com search engines. My trouble: don't work
    > keys Del, Home, End on my standard 104-keys PC keyboard. I read FAQ,
    > wsconsctl(8) and kbd(8) manuals, read /etc/termcap,
    > /usr/include/dev/wscons/wsconsio.h but... Help me with solution, plz.

    The OpenBSD console simulate a correct standard EPC keyboard but the
    TERM name selected for the consoles is "vt220". Which doesn't match at
    all the wscons keyboard in its terminfo entry.

    For exemple:

    termcapname wscons vt220
    -----------------------------
    key_home \E[7~ \E[1~
    key_end \E[8~ \E[4~

    key_f1 \E[11~ \EOP
    key_f4 \E[14~ \EOS
    key_f5 \E[15~ \E[17~

    This means that no curse/termcap application will ever be able to use
    properly the HOME, END and all the functions keys on a OpenBSD console
    using wscons own keyboard mapping (sparc use something else).

    DEL,INS,PGDN,PGUP,UP,LEFT,RIGHT,DOWN should work.

    I don't have a solution for this problem. Personnaly, I just don't use
    the console often enought to miss them. I go into Xterms pretty fast.

    I do had a questions about it. Like on which wscons supported arch you
    can use a true ANSI keyboard? For who wscons keep PF1...PF4 and
    SELECT,FIND mappings? And from where terminfo gets it's keyboard
    capabilities?

    I coudn't test if it was better in the pre-wscons era.

    --
    Hugo Villeneuve <hugo@EINTR.net>