Re: pxe-booting openbsd live environment

pankajtakawale <pankaj.takawale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Huh? That can be the very same server, and using NFS versus sending the
whole system via TFTP is a big win for the network and pretty much
everything else. And results in much faster booting, too.

my dhcp & tftp server runs on windows box. so i would have overhead of
1 more unix server just to place root & swap filesystems.

Huh? Are you really sure there isn't at least one NFS server for Windows
that doesn't suck worse than its UNIX equivalents? (Or failing that,
doesn't suck badly enough not to work at all.)

I admit to having zero interest in this, and thus very knowledge, but
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+nfs+server suggests I am not the
first one to think that NFS on Windows could be useful. (And the results
includes something using Cygwin, which should be very useful - I've
heard a lot of good things about Cygwin.)

Joachim

  • create a minimum liveCD that acts as an nfs server
    ... My Windows 2000 had an nfs server (Cygwin) running. ... with full permission to the clients. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: What is the more popular UNIX flavor?
    ... about my experience with Solaris and Cygwin. ... installing packages. ... needing eg tftp you only need to activate on a Unix system. ... probably need installing first on the equivalent Windows system. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: Using PHP to parse specific XML tag content?
    ... XML --> HTML transformation in testing environment. ... run just fine under Windows using Cygwin, and, unless I'm ... And they aren't going to run cygwin on these systems, ... It's a programming language designed ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Good debugger?
    ... >>Any Tcl core that was built for windows doesn't have that problem. ... >Because Cygwin, by definintion, is not native. ... that's still in script form from prodebug. ... >>But if it can't coexist with native Tcl components, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Cygwin or Windows: file permission functions are broken
    ... I don't find the explanation very clear (does "the Windows ... files (Cygwin touch, CMD.EXE copy, anything). ... the Windows permissions mask is way larger of a set than ... When under the "use filetest 'access'" the above-mentioned ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)