Re: Help with remote Linux server - Authentication but no .htaccess?

From: Xyerp (Xyerp_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/05/03

    Date: 5 Sep 2003 07:48:15 -0700

    "Phil Powell" <soazine@erols.com> wrote in message news:<oLU5b.120106$xf.44033@lakeread04>...
    > I have a folder

    A directory? Where? On your local system?

    > that requires Windows Authentication each time it is access.

    Er... what? You're running Samba?

    > The remote system is Linux.

    Great.

    > However, there is no sign of .htaccess nor .htpasswd as I understand a
    > UNIX-based system to have to prompt for Windows
    > Authentication,

    Way off base here. Those files are archaic files relating to the
    Apache Software Foundations Http server. Not related to 'Windows
    Authentication' in any way.

    > yet each time I am always prompted, even if I call the folder directly w/o
    > calling a specific file in that folder (this all done
    > via the browser).

    Eh? So, what you're saying is that you are trying to access a password
    protected website, but don't know how to do it - yes? What you need to
    do is enter a username and password when prompted. If you then tick
    the little box "remember password" you won't have to type the password
    next time.

    > Anyone there run into this and know what I should do about it?
    >
    > Thanx
    > Phil

    Ps. When posting questions it helps to provide information such as:

    * The software you are using, complete with revision/version details
    * What you are trying to achieve
    * What goes wrong, complete with exact error messages
    * What you have tried already
    * Steps to replicate the problem, if possible

    :)

    • Re: Folder/Printer Sharing Problem with Two Win XP Computers
      ... >>I'm hoping someone has a suggestion. ... >>folder and a printer with another computer. ... > you're trying to access runs Windows XP. ... What exactly does the prompt say? ...
    • Re: Access is Denied - XPSP2 Home Edition
      ... From the prompt, run this: ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ... across all the user data, which is fine for all users except me! ... On the previous build my "My Documents" folder I had pointed at seperate ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Recover User Profile
      ... this on my own Windows XP PC ... the "Safe Mode", then press ENTER. ... Now check it by running the Command Prompt. ... If "Owner.TRIGGER" folder is present again, ...
    • Re: System32 folder is missing!
      ... I am having a really big problem with my windows. ... me that System32 is required and that I need to talk to Microsoft ... I think I accidentally deleted the System32 folder thinking ... The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:. ...
    • Re: recover compacted folders
      ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, ... , then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...