Re: to delete file "q!"

From: Bryan Dongray (altnews_at_dongrays.com)
Date: 08/11/05

    Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:16:40 GMT

    ukarekar wrote:
    > Something else please

    It's likely it was created through using vi and ending the session with:
            :w q!
    so my guess is there are no hidden characters in the filename (like spaces).
    But use:
            ls -q
    to see if there are.

    Ways to remove such a file:
            rm q!
    as ! should not be a special character

    But if it is:
            rm 'q!'

    Using a shell variable might mask the specialness via the shell:
            X=q!
            rm "$X"

    How about using a known shell:
            sh -c "/bin/rm 'q!'"

    How about using a totally different program:
            perl -e 'unlink "q!";'

    I'm sure this can be done in even more inventive ways.

                            Bryan Dongray