Re: how to seperate the process of add new user and change passwd on unix

From: pattanawadee (spattana_at_unicorn.eng.psu.ac.th)
Date: 10/10/03

    Date: 10 Oct 2003 00:20:10 -0700

    Pascal Bourguignon <spam@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote in message news:<87n0c9zz0q.fsf@thalassa.informatimago.com>...

    > If you need to know how the programs vipw, useradd and passwd work,
    > you can have a look at their sources, or if not available, you may use
    > a tool such as ptrace or strace to see what system calls are executed
    > by them.

      I use ktruss to see what system calls are executed, with the command
    vipw, useradd, passwd and for creating new user by manual (add line in
    /etc/passwd, etc/master.passwd, /etc/group) but I cannot see what the
    differnt between those command I means same system calls are executed
    and when those command call system call open to open file such as file
    /etc/ptmp it set same flag (in vipw, useradd, passwd) as well, what I
    would like to do is I try to write programm to detect the other user
    except superuser who try to add new user to the system I trace passwd
    command too because would like to see the different whether user try
    to add new user or try to change password. So I need to know what the
    different between them.