Re: Using signals as a event driven framework

From: Nils O. Selåsdal (NOS_at_Utel.no)
Date: 05/03/04

Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 11:45:55 +0200

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:37:03 -0700, jose luis fernandez diaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a C program running in background in UNIX. From a shell script
> I want to notify it some events. The easiest way to do it is through
> signals, but it is not correct because signal are not a event drivent
> framework. Can anyone give me other straightforward solution ?
Signals can du fine, and you can very well make it event driven.
However signals have ofcourse limitations, you can only use a few of them,
and it's hard to pass additional data.
A common approach is to use unix sockets, see e.g. and create a little
utility that can communicate to the "server" for use in e.g. shell
scripts.
see e.g. http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/ipc/usock.html

--
Nils Olav Selåsdal