Re: Polling for keypress

From: Floyd L. Davidson (floyd_at_barrow.com)
Date: 10/08/04

    Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:55:29 -0800

    "John Smith" <john.smith@x-formation.com> wrote:
    >Thanks to both of you.
    >
    >I tried both implementations and ended up using the one from Heiko because
    >even though the other was more clean it had bugs. The code Heiko posted

    I would be very interested in what you think is a bug in it! It
    has been being posted to Usenet for many years and evolved from
    pre-POSIX code to where now it a POSIX demo.

    What kind of problem did you encounter? And the big question
    is, did the silly demo program work?

    >works flawless though and sticks to the same specification as the function
    >in Windows.
    >
    >But I'm curious. Isn't there a unix alternative way to perform the same
    >task?

    The problem is that there are many alternate _tasks_, not just
    the one the Window's version addresses.

    The advantage of Heiko's code, for you, is exactly as you've
    stated because it accomplishes what you understand is needed.

    The advantage of the code that I posted is that it was meant
    (for Unix, not Windows) to be a demo, not just a drop in
    replacement, showing how to program that functionality on a Unix
    platform. It is modularized and could be put into a library
    because does not require global variables nor does it leave the
    terminal in a odd state between calls. Also the kbhit() and
    getch() functions are not tied at the hip, and in fact the
    kbhit() function is unnecessary!

    --
    FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com