Re: Best unix programming language or tool for dealing with plaintext DBs?

From: Russell Shaw (rjshawN_o_at_s_pam.netspace.net.au)
Date: 11/05/05

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:38:01 +1100

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> joe@invalid.address writes:
>
>>casioculture@gmail.com writes:

>>>I'm so sorry, I'm a little thick today, does this mean that learning
>>>perl first would be easier, or that learning lisp first would make
>>>it easier for me to come to terms with perl when i later learn it?
>>
>>Forget about lisp for something like this. This kind of thing is what
>>perl was made for.
>
> perl is unreadable and unwritable. At least, with APL it was
> unreadable, but you could write it...
>
> Lisp is readable and writable.

Perl is easy once you rtfm and use comments. I've only ever heard
of lisp being used for some editor that masquerades as an OS;)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why I never got into Lisp
    ... solutions in languages like Perl. ... and what you tried in Lisp, and how Lisp mapped better, for you. ... While this can be done to some extent in any language, ... liked the fact that Ruby, like lisp, seems to have sensible defaults ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: My Perl is starting to look like Lisp
    ... In perl, its not so simple - some users exploit hidden ... > the fact that there can be as many programming styles as there are ... Paul Graham writes his code one way in ACL and On Lisp. ... very easy to make mistakes because the 'behavior' of the language can ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp2Perl - Lisp to perl compiler
    ... I see there's a lisp interpreter on CPAN but I have implemented ... >>perl scripts. ... I know it seems an odd thing to use a 1 namespace language to translate ... The compiler has to pay attention ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Lisp2Perl - Lisp to perl compiler
    ... I see there's a lisp interpreter on CPAN but I have implemented ... >>perl scripts. ... I know it seems an odd thing to use a 1 namespace language to translate ... The compiler has to pay attention ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Lisp2Perl - Lisp to perl compiler
    ... I see there's a lisp interpreter on CPAN but I have implemented ... > perl scripts. ... I'm horrified that you're thinking of a scheme-like ... namespaces in your Lisp, the function namespace maps directly from ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)